ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-arr-dt]

RE: [gnso-arr-dt] Resolving outstanding issues

  • To: "'William Drake'" <william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-arr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-arr-dt] Resolving outstanding issues
  • From: "Zahid Jamil" <zahid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 19:21:25 +0500

Let me start by saying that I have no intention at this time to be a
volunteer. - but I understand that what we decide her may become a long term
principle for Reviews:

So here is my take on the issue of conflict of interest:

The Affirmation of Commitments states that:

"The review will be performed by volunteer community members and the review
team will be constituted and published for public comment, and will include
the following  (or their designated nominees): the Chair of the GAC, the
Chair of the Board of ICANN, the Assistant Secretary for Communications and
Information of the DOC, representatives of the relevant ICANN Advisory
Committees and Supporting Organizations and independent experts."

As such:

the Review seems in part like a Self-Review - and not an independent review

The 'representative of the GNSO is exactly that 'representing' the GNSO - so
it does not seem as an independent position.  The volunteer has to be
willing to represent the GNSO (presumably GNSO interest)

In any case in regards conflicts - the Chair of the GAC and the Chair of the
Board are reviewing:

" (a) continually assessing and improving ICANN Board of Directors (Board)
governance which shall include an ongoing evaluation of Board performance,
the Board selection process, the extent to which Board composition meets
ICANN's present and future needs, and the consideration of an appeal
mechanism for Board decisions; (b) assessing the role and effectiveness of
the GAC and its interaction with the Board"

- so inherently there is already a conflict of interest on the review team
as allowed and envisaged by the AoC.

It is also interesting to note that the review will be performed by a group
that 'will include' and so not be limited to the Chair of the GAC, Chair of
the Board, AC/SO reps and independent experts.  So it could also include
others.

On Diversity, I had a look at the GNSO Bylaws:

Section 2. CORE VALUES

4. Seeking and supporting broad, informed participation reflecting the
functional, geographic, and cultural diversity of the Internet at all levels
of policy development and decision-making.

So do we ignore this Core Value?

Section 3. GNSO COUNCIL

Stakeholder Groups should, in their charters, ensure their representation on
the GNSO Council is as diverse as possible and practicable, including
considerations of geography, GNSO Constituency, sector, ability and gender.

IF the Council is supposed to live by this should our choice not represent
this principle?

Except in a "special circumstance," such as, but not limited to, meeting
geographic or other diversity requirements defined in the Stakeholder Group
charters, where no alternative representative is available to serve, no
Council member may be selected to serve more than two consecutive terms, in
such a special circumstance a Council member may serve one additional term.
For these purposes, a person selected to fill a vacancy in a term shall not
be deemed to have served that term. A former Council member who has served
two consecutive terms must remain out of office for one full term prior to
serving any subsequent term as Council member. A "special circumstance" is
defined in the GNSO Operating Procedures.

DO we have a special circumstance here? (I do understand the provision
directly above has to do with Council members but this is a principle we
work under, it seems)

Sincerely,

Zahid Jamil

Barrister-at-law

Jamil & Jamil

Barristers-at-law

219-221 Central Hotel Annexe

Merewether Road, Karachi. Pakistan

Cell: +923008238230

Tel: +92 21 5680760 / 5685276 / 5655025

Fax: +92 21 5655026

 <http://www.jamilandjamil.com/> www.jamilandjamil.com

Notice / Disclaimer

This message contains confidential information and its contents are being
communicated only for the intended recipients . If you are not the intended
recipient you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
message by mistake and delete it from your system. The contents above may
contain/are the intellectual property of Jamil & Jamil, Barristers-at-Law,
and constitute privileged information protected by attorney client
privilege. The reproduction, publication, use, amendment, modification of
any kind whatsoever of any part or parts (including photocopying or storing
it in any medium by electronic means whether or not transiently or
incidentally or some other use of this communication) without prior written
permission and consent of Jamil & Jamil is prohibited.