ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-arr-dt]

Re: [gnso-arr-dt] Voting, diversity, and allocation issues

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-arr-dt] Voting, diversity, and allocation issues
  • From: William Drake <william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 10:57:13 +0100

Hi

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I.  VOTING

On Mar 2, 2010, at 3:30 PM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

>  In that regard, if we are unable to
> achieve a simple majority support of each House for an endorsement for
> either or both slots after reasonable effort, then we do not need to
> endorse anyone for the slot(s).

Sure, technically we could elect nobody to the two slots and just go with the
SG allocated ones.  However, this would be unfair to candidates who are a)
unaffiliated or b) identifiably with a SG but for whatever reason weren't
chosen for the allocated slots.  Then we'd effectively be saying that the only
way to get a GNSO endorsement set to Janis and Peter is have obtained the
backing of a SG for its allocated slot. The result could be viewed as
essentially SG collusion that locks out outsiders/challengers, and I'm not sure
that's the message we want to send (for an accountability/transparency
exercise, no less).

Indeed, there could be perverse incentives here; speaking game theoretically
(I'm not saying anyone in particular would actually do this), since voters know
their SG will anyway get its favored person, someone might think why should I
want majority winners for the elected slots, they're not my SG's top choice,
and they just dilute the pool the Selectors pick from and reduce our person's
chances.  Hence I'll vote in a manner that precludes a winner and won't
compromise with others to find a solution if no majority emerges.   So if the
rule signals at the outset that a failed vote is an option, it could increase
the likelihood of failure. If instead it says if there's a failure we redo
until we get to yes, there's an incentive to compromise and maybe let through
someone who's not one's first preference.

The same goes for achieving diversity: the agreed process is that if there's a
first round failure, the ET works out something to up the diversity level and
"The Council would vote on the new list, with a simple majority of both houses
required for acceptance. If the vote fails, the cycle will repeat until there
is a successful outcome."   Bottom line, requiring repetition until success
would be an anti-gaming (or at least gaming attenuation), pro-openness stance.

On Mar 2, 2010, at 6:02 PM, Tim Ruiz wrote:

> 1. I could see us doing a second round of voting, but if we don't get
> agreement we should just submit the apps noting the support that each
> received.

If we do not do iterative voting, Tim's approach strikes me as fairest way to
treat the applicants, much better than saying sorry, you don't even get a shot
at being considered and losing to someone.  Just a little more for the
Selectors to read through.  Who knows, they might appreciate having more
options to pick from.

II. DIVERSITY

On Mar 2, 2010, at 6:11 PM, Caroline Greer wrote:

> Still thinking through diversity....

On Mar 2, 2010, at 6:02 PM, Tim Ruiz wrote:

> 2. I think meeting the diversity requirements within the group that we
> put forward will be difficult and we shouldn't get too caught up in
> that. Again, we just submit what we have with the relevant support for
> each noted.

But this is not the process we agreed to and announced externally.  The
requirements we set out are rather paltry---no more than two nominees come from
the same geographical region, nominees not all of the same gender, a
distribution between genders no greater than two-thirds to one-third.  Failing
to meet these would require a scenario like 5 guys and no or 1 woman, and three
USians out of six.  Surely a body that is supposed to represent all sectors the
world over can do better than this.  It is not a matter of quality vs political
correctness, there are undoubtedly qualified people in all our communities that
merit support; if there are not, hopefully this process will occasion some
reflection on how to improve.  And bear in mind that the AOC specifically
requires diversity, and that Peter and Janis (being sensitive to such things)
will be looking for it in order to avoid bad press, criticisms from the ITU,
etc.

=> If the voting on the two slots failed after two rounds and we took Tim's
approach of just sending all the names, with the ET input but without formal
council endorsements, that would at least square the circle on this point
somewhat as the pool of unsolicited apps already has internationals and women.
Then we wouldn't have to do the ET reconciliation process called for in our
procedures doc.  Might be the path of least resistance; can people get behind
this approach?  If so we can explain this at the open council meeting if people
ask how this is being done (which someone very well could, which is why I'm
pushing for us to have some sort of answer).

III.  AFFILIATIONS

On Mar 2, 2010, at 6:11 PM, Caroline Greer wrote:

> As regards allocation and in the situation where someone opts not to
> associate themselves with an SG [Problem No.3], perhaps we should honor
> that option unless it is an absolutely ridiculous scenario - eg Caroline
> Greer [to use me as an example] decides not to associate herself with
> the RSG. In deciding not to associate themselves with an SG however,
> that person would be taking their chances based on the situation that
> may arise in the above paragraph.

On Mar 2, 2010, at 6:02 PM, Tim Ruiz wrote:

> 3. This is about GNSO endorsement. Whether we endorse a candidate or not
> they could still be considered for selection, right? So I think if
> someone is a member of, or represents a member of, a particular
> constituency or SG they should be sloted that way whether they request
> it or not. But whether we do it that way or not, I am not concerned
> about gaming. If one house or SG sees an applicant as attempting to game
> it is doubtful they will get the necessary majority of both Houses to
> receive GNSO endorsement.

I agree with both of you, depending on where we set the threshold of Caroline's
ridiculous scenario.  To me, someone who says I am an IPC member in her app and
on her website but then says I want to stand as independent is such a scenario.
 When we talked about allocation procedures we said if someone was known to be
x we'd put them with x, full stop.

Following that rule the apps received to date would be allocated as follows:

Eric Brunner-Williams  (Rgy or Rgr?  Not this time?)
* "My order of preference for the review areas is security and stability first,
accountability & transparency second, competition third, and whois last."
*"I self-identify with the Registrar Constituency, and the Registry
Constituency"
*USA, male

Brian Cute (Rgy)
*I self-identify with the GNSO - gTLD Registries Stakeholder Group
*USA, male

S. S. Kshatriya  (Unaffiliated)
*Indian, male

Victoria McEvedy (CSG)
*UK, female

Hakikur Rahman (NCSG)
*Bangladesh, male

Olivier Muron (CSG)
France, male

From a distributional standpoint, not a bad starting point: pontentially all
SGs + an independent,  2 US, 2 EU, 2 Asia, one woman.  Let's hope more filling
it out come in by the 7th.  I know NCSG will have an African to add to the mix
and maybe more...

Best,

Bill