ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-arr-dt]

RE: [gnso-arr-dt] Permanent Review Team Process

  • To: "William Drake" <william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-arr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-arr-dt] Permanent Review Team Process
  • From: "Caroline Greer" <cgreer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:38:49 +0100

Bill,

Thanks for kicking this off again.

I like your simplified, more streamlined approach. I think categories 5
& 6 did cause some confusion in the last round and so would support just
having one unaffiliated slot. And I am not aware of any community
objection thus far on our process - please correct me if I am wrong - so
lets just concentrate on dealing with what we ourselves found to be
problematic / challenging.

One thing that I battle with is letting 'outsiders' have a fair crack at
the whip. If there was any possibility of interviewing 'unknowns' or
getting them to know them a little better, I would be supportive.
However, perhaps as a first step, we could ask Council what their
opinion is on bringing 'outsiders' into the process - is it important to
have fresh eyes looking in or conversely, is it expected / desirable
that review team candidates have a strong sense of ICANN, its workings
and to have contributed in a meaningful way to its work output over the
years? I sensed that there were mixed views on this last time round (and
views may differ according to the actual review being undertaken of
course).

Would it be worth discussing the process / proposed changes with Peter
and Janis to see if they had any misgivings last time or have any
suggestions?

Obviously this time round, we need to have clarity on timing and to be
more in synch with any public announcements / calls for volunteers.

Thanks.

Caroline.