ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-arr-dt]

Re: [gnso-arr-dt] Permanent Review Team Process

  • To: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-arr-dt] Permanent Review Team Process
  • From: William Drake <william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 08:08:54 +0200

Hi Tim

On Apr 16, 2010, at 12:09 AM, Tim Ruiz wrote:

> This also allows more applicants to be considered by the Selectors.
> Otherwise, I am concerned that the only applicants we will get are those
> pre-ordained by the SGs - others won't see the point. This also seems
> more fair to those that do bother to go through the application process.

I understand your thinking now and appreciate the suggestion.  How would you
respond to the counter-arguments, e.g. that such an approach would

1.  Vest all responsibility for deciding who represents the GNSO community in
the selectors rather than the community itself, and thus leaves us all without
a voice in the process.  How would this square with the aspiration to follow
bottom up democratic consensus-based procedures?  Would we agree to follow this
model for other kinds of decisions in ICANN, and if not, why would it then be
right here?

2.  Relatedly, dump all the work on the selectors, rather than aiding them in
sorting through potentially largish pools.   In order to know that they're
picking people the community supports, wouldn't they have to do extra cycles of
back channel consultation, which would make the process less transparent?  Or
would we just trust them to pick optimally on their own, even though they may
not know the candidates, their particular expertise, the issues of particular
concern to GNSO that its reps would have to carry into the process, etc?

3.  Politicizes the whole process by promoting asymmetries in potential
influence and representation.  Let's say that a particularly well resourced SG
decides great, we'll put forward ten names in order to up our chances.  Other
SGs might feel like this is rather unfair if they cannot muster a similar
number of candidates.  To avoid that, they'd have to put in a bunch of effort
beating the bushes and badgering their people that please, we need more bodies
to offset SG x's undue advantage.  Could be a bit of a drain and distraction on
volunteers who are already often hard pressed to keep up with all the work
going on.

To me, giving each SG one guaranteed nominee creates a level playing field
among SGs and eliminates an additional level of unnecessary political drama
within ICANN, ensures broad based representation in the nominee pool consistent
with the AoC, and puts the responsibility for deciding who should represent the
community in the community's hands, rather than in the hands of just two people
who may not be attuned to our internal conditions.  And the fifth slot allows
people who aren't connected to or wouldn't be selected by the SGs to have a
fair shot.

But that's just me.  If everyone else feels differently and we're able to get
community consensus on an alternative model, then let's do that instead.

Cheers,

Bill