ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-authoritative-thickwhois]

RE: [gnso-authoritative-thickwhois] summary of comments re authoritativeness

  • To: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>, Authoritative Thick WHOIS <gnso-authoritative-thickwhois@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-authoritative-thickwhois] summary of comments re authoritativeness
  • From: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 17:08:01 +0000

Authoritativeness subgroup members,

A review of the comments received on this topic from stakeholder groups,
constituencies and others may help advance our work. These are collected in the
chart prepared by staff, beginning at item 52 (in the most recent version
circulated  today).

A threshold question is whether it is necessary for this PDP to define which
Whois data is authoritative in the thick Whois environment. ALAC questions
whether this is necessary, while NPOC seems to think it is.  (We still have no
data on the prevalence of data discrepancies between registry and registrar
Whois in the thick Whois setting, other than the transition report from PIR
which seems to indicate it is not a problem.)

As to which set of Whois data should be authoritative, only the NCUC clearly
asserts that registrar data is authoritative.  ALAC notes the registrar data is
treated as authoritative in the UDRP setting. (Note, though, that since the
vast majority of UDRP cases involve registrations in thin Whois gTLDs -- .com
and .net - the question of authoritativeness as between registry and registrar
may not  arise.)

On the other hand, the registry data is authoritative, according to BC, R'rSG,
and PIR in their submissions.  Verisign's comments indicate that registry data
should be authoritative for technical purposes.

Several commentators note that registrars remain responsible for collecting the
data and for its accuracy (although I note that "responsible" might overstate
registrars' accuracy obligations under the current RAA). For NCUC this seems to
dictate a finding that registrar Whois is authoritative, while for the
registrar and registry commentators, this fact does not appear inconsistent
with the conclusion that registry Whois is authoritative.

As a platform for discussion, let me pose two questions, informed by these

(1)    Does this PDP need to determine authoritativeness?  If no policy
establishing authoritativeness (other than in the UDRP context) has been
adopted during all the years that thick Whois systems have been in operation,
does this indicate that resolving authoritativeness is a "solution in search of
a problem"?

(2)    If the answer to Q. 1 is "yes," then would the fact that registrars
remain responsible for collecting the data in question from registrants (and
for updating the same) disqualify the registry data (all received from
registrars) from being considered authoritative?  Why or why not? Put another
way, is there an inherent contradiction if registrars continue to collect all
data but the registry database were authoritative?

Looking forward to your responses (or to other views of the comments we have
received).

Steve Metalitz