ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] Private WIKI for Consensus group

  • To: "Avri Doria" <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] Private WIKI for Consensus group
  • From: "Milton L Mueller" <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 18:19:11 -0400

Not in 24 days, I'd suggest.

> i suppose it is also a
> possibility that constituency representation be removed and that all
> council members could be appointed by nomcom.

<Smile.> Now THAT I think we can safely say is _not_ something that is
going to gain consensus from this group.

> This might
> become an especially appealing possibility if we cannot find a balance
> point that all of the constituencies are comfortable with.

I think you are inadvertently reinforcing my initial worries.

If we can't come to a simple agreement about voting distributions and
appropriate parity principles, then the alternative, you seem to
suggest, is to throw out the BGC model completely and redesign the GNSO
from scratch.

That's a really bad idea. We have no mandate to do that, our WG is too
small and not broadly representative enough to do that, and it's not
possible to do that given our time constraints and the type of problem
we were created to solve.