ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

[gnso-consensus-wg] Definition of Non-Commercial

  • To: gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-consensus-wg] Definition of Non-Commercial
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 15:30:23 -0400

The BGC proposal defines the non-commercial stakeholders group as constituencies of Non-commercial registrants.

I propose that the definition of non-commercial be widened from that in the BGC proposal to include non-commercial users as well.

The rationale is simple. Looking at just the web, businesses use it to deliver products and services to users. Without users, there would be far less incentive for businesses to use the Internet, or for registrants to register names with registrars/registries. Users are greatly impacted by policies recommended by the GNSO and their representatives should be able to participate in setting such policies at all levels.

I am not proposing HOW we create such a constituency or constituencies at this point, just that the GNSO structure be receptive to them if and when they should form. Other provisions in the BGC proposal already address the difficulty in forming new constituencies and state that ICANN will need to work to achieve this end.

I am explicitly not saying what role that ALAC might or might not play in creating such constituencies. (I do have some expectations in this regard, but I am not sure they are relevant here.)

Under separate cover, I am forwarding the exchange I had with Roberto about the propriety of our expanding the definition of "non-commercial", a term defined in the part of the BGC proposal already adopted by the Board. Note that Roberto implies that he believes that users needs be represented on Council, but that this is a role of the NomCom appointees to the GNSO. Although I strongly support the practice of having voting NomCom appointed members of the GNSO, I hardly think that we can expect them to solely espouse user needs on Council. By the very definition, they should take a broader and more disparate view of things.

Alan