ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] Definition of Non-Commercial

  • To: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>, "Alan Greenberg" <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] Definition of Non-Commercial
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 09:37:56 -0400

I also agree that it seems to make sense to incorporate users and
registrants but with the assumption that they are able to be
incorporated in an effective and most importantly representative way
that avoids capture by a small group of people (per RyC principle 3
previously distributed).  The ALAC now has a structure in place that may
facilitate this but it still needs to be tested.  The NCUC has proposed
opening up the noncommercial side but it appears to be little beyond the
idea stage.  These are positive signs but I think we have to ask the
following question: At what point does it make sense to expand voting
participation?  Should it be done now when there is a huge void and tons
of work to do or should some milestones be set when it happens?

With the changes anticipated in all our constituencies we all
undoubtedly will face challenges of representation so I recognize that
the noncommercial side is not alone in this issue.  We will all have to
develop plans for expansion of our membership to better incorporate our
broader communities.

Chuck