ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

[gnso-consensus-wg] A Proposal

  • To: <gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-consensus-wg] A Proposal
  • From: "Nevett, Jonathon" <jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:55:28 -0400

I'd like to offer the following proposal.  I'd be happy to answer
questions about it on our call today.  Thanks.  Jon

1.      In order to maintain the current parity in the GNSO between
contracted and non-contracted parties, as well as foster parity between
business users and non-commercial users, we should agree to the Board
Governance Committee's Recommendation of a 19 person council comprised
of 4 registries, 4 registrars, 4 business users, 4 non-commercial users,
and 3 Nominating Committee representatives.

With parity, neither "side" enjoys over the other a majority or an
advantage in getting a majority.  Therefore, neither can dictate the
operations of the GNSO.  It requires that we all work together and we
have the benefit of Nominating Committee representatives to perform the
tie-breaker function if necessary.  Please also remember that according
to the recent voting study prepared by ICANN staff, registrars and
registries only voted together 54% of the time, so when we talk about
"sides" - suppliers are often not aligned.  Indeed the Non-Commercial
User Constituency has a closer voting record to the Intellectual
Property Constituency than the registries and registrars.

2.      As part of this proposal, we could change the criteria for the
GNSO Board seats at the end of the current term for Seat 14 -- Seats 13
and 14 both may not be held by individuals who are employed by, an agent
of, or receives any compensation from an ICANN-accredited registry or
registrar, nor may they both be held by individuals who are members of
or directly involved in one of the GNSO user stakeholder groups.  Either
seat may be held by an individual directly involved in a contracted
party or a user stakeholder group, but not both at the same time,
thereby fostering the theme of parity between contracted and
non-contracted parties.

3.      In order to maintain parity and the independence of the ICANN
Nominating Committee representatives to the GNSO, we could change the
criteria for the three GNSO seats appointed by the Nominating Committee
after this year to be that none of the seats may be held by an
individual who is employed by, an agent of, or receives any compensation
from an ICANN-accredited registry or registrar, nor someone who is a
member of or directly involved in one of the GNSO user stakeholder
groups.

4.      In order to address concerns raised by business users, we could
change the criteria for the GNSO seats appointed by the Nominating
Committee after this year to be that at least one of the three seats
must be held by someone whose primary employment is for a commercial
entity.

5.      In order to address concerns raised by business users, we could
add one new representative to the ICANN Nominating Committee appointed
by the International Chamber of Commerce.  The current voting members
are listed below.

Nominating Committee Voting Members

ALAC-1
ALAC-2
ALAC-3
ALAC-4
ALAC-5

Commercial & Business Constituency-1

Commercial & Business Constituency-2

Registry Constituency

Registrar Constituency
ccNSO
ISP Constituency
Intellectual Property Constituency
Address Supporting Organization
Higher Education Organization
Non-commercial Users Constituency
IAB for IETF
Technical Liaison Group **

** Position rotates among TLG (2007), ITU (2008) and W3C (2009)

International Chamber of Commerce (Proposed)