ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] New GNSO Reform Concept

  • To: <gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] New GNSO Reform Concept
  • From: <tony.ar.holmes@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:26:29 +0100

I agree with Jon that the focus going forward should be on managing the PDP
process but one of the issues this raises is the ability of any single group of
participants to veto policy work. On the one side no single party can block the
launch of the PDP process alone. On the other side (contracted parties) it just
takes one party not to agree and everything stops. Whether it be on the
contracted or non-contracted side that isn't a healthy proposition. Neither do
I think its appropriate that we look towards an appointee from the Noncom to
break that. The pressure placed on that person who would nominally be viewed as
a member of that house wouldn't be fair, neither would they have been exposed
to the views aired in each house.

As I said yesterday, the devils is in the detail and that's why just agreeing a
top level set of principles and throwing this to ICANN staff to set the
implementation rules isn't a good way forward.

If this is going to move forward we need to make progress on some of these
details across the next week.

Tony