ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] New GNSO Reform Concept

  • To: <tony.ar.holmes@xxxxxx>, <gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] New GNSO Reform Concept
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:51:41 -0400

It seems to me in any scenario where we require more than just a simple
majority for consensus that one SG may be able to veto a decision.  But I
believe that any decision, especially policy decisions, should have a higher
threshold than a simple majority.  A simple majority is an extremely weak level
of consensus.  As I did in my proposal, I suggest we consider 60% for consensus
for each side of the house.  At the same time I am not saying that this
position is a do or die position.  I realize that this may work counter to
Tony's concern, but simple majority consensus in each house is too low in my
opinion. I pointed out in an email yesterday that only requiring a simple
majority for each house would allow approval of positions when two entire
stakeholder groups do not support them.  That does not seem like a good idea to
me.

Chuck