ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] GNSO Consensus Current Thinking

• To: gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] GNSO Consensus Current Thinking
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:52:59 -0400

My recollection is that the current By-Laws use "greater than 66%".

At 24/07/2008 10:42 AM, Metalitz, Steven wrote:
Milton, I take it that your point would be in addition to the language from the Joint User Group proposal, not in lieu of it?

All: at the risk of being too pedantic, I propose we change 67% to 2/3 wherever it appears, since it makes a difference. Example: in a 9-voter group, 6 votes is 2/3, but it is not 67%, that would take 6.03 votes, which translates to 7.

Steve

----------
From: owner-gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Milton L Mueller
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 10:12 AM
To: Nevett, Jonathon; gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] GNSO Consensus Current Thinking

Jon and all:

I have added the point that Alan and I discussed with respect to #6 below

----------
From: owner-gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Nevett, Jonathon
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 9:55 AM
To: gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] GNSO Consensus Current Thinking

Here is a document that suggests the snapshot of where we are and a couple of suggested ways forward. The issues in yellow need to be decided. Thanks. Jon

GNSO Restructure Proposal ? for discussion purposes only

* One GNSO Council with two voting ?houses? ? referred to as bicameral voting ? GNSO Council will meet as one, but houses may caucus on their own as they see fit. Unless otherwise stated, all voting of the Council will be counted at a house level.

* Composition

* GNSO Council would be comprised of two voting houses, including three Nominating Committee Representatives

i. Contracted Party House ? an equal number of registry and registrar representatives and 1 Nominating Committee representative. The number of registry and registrar stakeholders will be in the range of 3 to 4 for each group to be determined by such stakeholder groups by August 29, 2008. If no agreement is reached by such date, the number of representatives for each group will be 4.

ii. User House ? an equal number of commercial users and non-commercial user representatives and 1 Nominating Committee representative. The number of commercial and non-commercial stakeholders will be in the range of 5 to 7 for each group to be determined by such stakeholder groups by August 29, 2008. If no agreement is reached by such date, the number of representatives for each group will be 6.

* Leadership
* One GNSO Council Chair (Election criteria/process to be determined in the next 30 days)
       * Two GNSO Vice Chairs ? one elected from each of the voting houses

* Voting Thresholds
* Create an Issues Report ? either greater than 25% vote of both houses or simple majority of one house (currently 25% of vote of Council) * Initiate a PDP within Scope of the GNSO per ICANN Bylaws and advice of ICANN GC (currently >33% of vote of Council) -- greater than 33% vote of both houses or at least 67% vote of one house * Initiate a PDP not within Scope of the GNSO per ICANN Bylaws and advice of ICANN GC ? >66% majority of one house and a simple majority of the other (currently >66% of vote of Council) * Appoint a Task Force (currently >50% of vote of Council) -- greater than 33% vote of both houses or at least 67% vote of one house * Approval of a PDP without Super-Majority (currently >50% of vote of Council) -- Simple majority of both houses, but requires that at least one representative of at least 3 of the 4 stakeholder groups supports * Options for Super-Majority Approval of a PDP (currently >66% of vote of Council) --

i.   At least 67% majority in one house and simple majority in the other; or

ii.   60% majority of both houses

iii.   Other options??
   * Removal of NomCom Representative (currently 75% of Council)

i.   At least 75% of User Council to remove NomCom Rep on User Council

ii. At least 75% of Contracted Parties Council to remove NomCom Rep on Contracted Parties Council

iii.   At least 75% of both voting councils to remove GNSO Chair
   * All other GNSO Business ? simple majority of both voting houses

* Board Elections
* Options for Election of Board Seats 13 & 14 at the end of the current terms (currently simple majority vote of Council)

i. Contracted Parties Council elects Seat 13 by a majority vote and User Council elects Seat 14 by a majority vote without Nominating Committee representatives voting. Criteria for Seats 13 and 14 would be that both may not be held by individuals who are employed by, an agent of, or receive any compensation from an ICANN-accredited registry or registrar, nor may they both be held by individuals who are appointed members of or directly involved in one of the GNSO user stakeholder groups.

* Representation
* All three groups must strive to fulfill pre-established objective criteria regarding broadening outreach and deepening participation from a diverse range of participants. Implementation of the tripartite arrangement should be contingent on this.

b. All SGs must have rules and processes in place that make is possible for any and all people and organizations eligible for the Stakeholder Group to join, participate and be heard regardless of their policy viewpoints

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy