ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

[gnso-consensus-wg] BC input

  • To: gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-consensus-wg] BC input
  • From: philip.sheppard@xxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 17:48:09 +0200 (CEST)

1. Rob please use Betrands summary as a base. It is neutral and already
structure with agreement items first.

2. For the record the BC comments on the last Nevett proposal.
> GNSO Restructure Proposal - for discussion purposes only
>

> 1.    One GNSO Council with two voting "houses" - referred to as
> bicameral voting - GNSO Council will meet as one, but houses may caucus
> on their own as they see fit.  Unless otherwise stated, all voting of
> the Council will be counted at a house level.

BC AGREE

> 2.    Composition
>

>       a.      GNSO Council would be comprised of two voting houses,
> including three Nominating Committee Representatives
> BC - disagree - one nom com per house only agreed.
>                                                                i.
> Contracted Party House - an equal number of registry and registrar
> representatives and 1 Nominating Committee representative.
BC AGREE

The number
> of registry and registrar stakeholders will be in the range of 3 to 4
> for each group to be determined by such stakeholder groups by August 29,
> 2008.  If no agreement is reached by such date, the number of
> representatives for each group will be 4.
BC - delete this - its a new proposal not discussed.

>                                                              ii.
> User House - an equal number of commercial users and non-commercial user
> representatives and 1 Nominating Committee representative.
BC AGREE
 The number
> of commercial and non-commercial stakeholders will be in the range of 5
> to 7 for each group to be determined by such stakeholder groups by
> August 29, 2008.  If no agreement is reached by such date, the number of
> representatives for each group will be 6.
> BC - delete this - its a new proposal not discussed.
Fundamental opposition to one house proposing composition of another

> 3.    Leadership
>
>       a.      One GNSO Council Chair (Election criteria/process to be
> determined in the next 30 days)
BC DELETE NEWLY PROPOSED 30 DAY TIMELINE
>       b.      Two GNSO Vice Chairs - one elected from each of the
> voting houses
BC AGREE

> 4.    Voting Thresholds
BC - ADD Philips (agReed) principles here please first ( all but the veto
one)then then the consequent thresholds.

>       a.      Create an Issues Report - either greater than 25% vote
> of both houses or simple majority of one house (currently 25% of vote of
> Council)
BC AGREE
>       b.      Initiate a PDP within Scope of the GNSO per ICANN Bylaws
> and advice of ICANN GC (currently >33% of vote of Council) -- greater
> than 33% vote of both houses or at least 67% vote of one house
BC CHANGE TO METALITZ FORMULATION

>       c.      Initiate a PDP not within Scope of the GNSO per ICANN
> Bylaws and advice of ICANN GC - >66% majority of one house and a simple
> majority of the other (currently >66% of vote of Council)
BC AGREE
>       d.      Appoint a Task Force (currently >50% of vote of Council)
> -- greater than 33% vote of both houses or at least 67% vote of one
> house
BC WE AGEED TO DELETE THIS AS NO LONGER RELEVANT

>       e.      Approval of a PDP without Super-Majority (currently >50%
> of vote of Council) -- Simple majority of both houses, but requires that
> at least one representative of at least 3 of the 4 stakeholder groups
> supports
BC AGREE
>       f.      Options for Super-Majority Approval of a PDP (currently
>>66% of vote of Council) --
>
>                                                                i.
> At least 67% majority in one house and simple majority in the other; or
>
>                                                              ii.
> 60% majority of both houses
>
>                                                             iii.
> Other options??

BC DELETE ALL F, INSERT PHILIP PRINCIPLE A ON VETOS AND STATE REGISTRARS
OPPOSED AS THEY WANT WHAT THEY DO NOT HAVE NOW NAMELY A VETO FOR
SUPERMAJORITY POLICY OR HOWEVER JON WANTS TO PHRASE IT

>       g.      Removal of NomCom Representative (currently 75% of
> Council)
>
>                                                                i.
> At least 75% of User Council to remove NomCom Rep on User Council
BC AGREE
>                                                              ii.      At
> least 75% of Contracted Parties Council to remove NomCom Rep on
> Contracted Parties Council
BC AGREE
>                                                             iii.      At
> least 75% of both voting councils to remove GNSO Chair
BC AGREE
>       h.      All other GNSO Business - simple majority of both voting
> houses
BC AGREE

> 5.    Board Elections
>
>       a.      Options for Election of Board Seats 13 & 14 at the end
> of the current terms (currently simple majority vote of Council)
>
>                                                                i.
> Contracted Parties Council elects Seat 13 by a majority vote and User
> Council elects Seat 14 by a majority vote without Nominating Committee
> representatives voting.  Criteria for Seats 13 and 14 would be that both
> may not be held by individuals who are employed by, an agent of, or
> receive any compensation from an ICANN-accredited registry or registrar,
> nor may they both be held by individuals who are appointed members of or
> directly involved in one of the GNSO user stakeholder groups.
BC DELETE ALL AND USE PHRASING IN PHILIPS PROPOSAL WHICH I BELEVE GOT
AGEEMENT AND REFiNED THIS PROPOSAL ABOVE

> 6.    Representation
>
>       a.      All fOUR groups must strive to fulfill pre-established
> objective criteria regarding broadening outreach and deepening
> participation from a diverse range of participants. Implementation of
> the BICAMERAL arrangement should be contingent on this.
BC AGREE