ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

[gnso-consensus-wg] Consensus Group Report

  • To: gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-consensus-wg] Consensus Group Report
  • From: philip.sheppard@xxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 00:32:08 +0200 (CEST)

Rob,you have done a good job with a difficult task.

BC statement.

1. in this whole discussion there has been better dialogue and consensus
building beween the existing constituencies than with the non voting ALAC
and non com representative. This is significant. The constituencies exisit
as a result of 9 years of strucure and consensus building. ALAC and nom
com do not share this heritage. This should be noted.

2. The non-contratced parties are strongly committed to the public
interest being fundamental to ICANN decision making. Our concern is that
the nom com appointment route has been a weak application of the public
interest. Our HOPE is that involving at large INSIDE the GNSO will be a
better route. Our CONCERN is that at large may yet be too young to carry
this burden.

3. The BC believes in an ICANN that exists to support an Internet that is
a safe place to do business and communicate. ICANN is not about business
opportunity, or market making. The moment ICANN becomes a trade
association for those who benefit from its contracts, will be the moment
the BC's energies are directed towards government and those who hold the
public interest dear.