ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] Consensus Group Report

  • To: "Robert Hoggarth" <robert.hoggarth@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] Consensus Group Report
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 09:08:05 -0400

Thanks very much Rob.  You did a great job.  Your work is even more
impressive considering the huge challenges presented by the the very
extensive group exchanges the last 24-48 hours and the late hours during
which you did it.

Because the narative for 2.c in Attachment A only lists the BC and NCA
has having competing views, I concluded that only the BC opposed the
inclusion of a 'Council-level Non-Voting Nominating Committee
Appointee'.  In particular I concluded that the ISCPC supports the
inclusion of such a nomcom seat even though it is later pointed out that
they joined the BC in opposing the possibility of that appointee being
chair.  If I am correct on this, in the spirit of compromise, everyone
was willing to accept 2.c except the BC.  I bring this up not to suggest
any change in the document but rather to make sure I accurately
reference the final position of all group members in comments that I
will prepare in the next few days.

Considering the fact that there was not 100% agreement regarding the
inclusion of a 'Council-level Non-Voting Nominating Committee
Appointee', I believe that the following sentence in 3.b should be in
bold font: "If the Council Chair is elected from one of the houses,
however, then the Council-level Nominating Committee Appointee shall
serve as one of the Vice Chairs in lieu of the Vice Chair from the house
of the elected Chair."

It just now dawns on me that the language of 5 (Board Elections) may
preclude the Contracted Parties House from selecting anyone who is
associated with a registry or registar for seat 13 when it next becomes
vacant because Rita will still be on the Board at that time.  That
certainly was not the intent of the RyC but I unfortunately did not
observe that nuance in time.  I would like to think that others didn't
intentionally intend that consequence either.  If so, I would hope that
we could propose a slight change after the fact that would qualify the
text after the semi-colon to something like the following: "BUT, after
the end of the current term for seat 14, both seats may not be held by
individuals who are employed by, an agent of, or receive any
compensation from an ICANN-accredited registry or registrar, nor may
they both be held by individuals who are the appointed representatives
to one of the GNSO user stakeholder groups." Without such a change, the
options open to the Contracted Party House would be overly restricted in
filling seat 13 the next time around.  My apologies to the group for not
catching this sooner.  It probably is too late to make such a change
now, but I would appreciate it if we would consider it after the fact
and would be curious if there is any opposition to that.

Chuck