ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-constituency-renewals]

Re: Improved transparency through public mailing list archives, budgets and membership lists

  • To: gnso-constituency-renewals@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Improved transparency through public mailing list archives, budgets and membership lists
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 06:33:41 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I'd like to make a followup to my prior submission. Public mailing list
archives (and membership lists) also allow the ICANN community and other
observers to determine whether GNSO constituencies are truly representative of
the communities they purport to represent.

If a constituency's activities are dominated by a very small number of
individuals or organizations, for example, they would not be meeting the
"representativeness" principle in ICANN's bylaw requirements, and the need for
greater outreach would be evident. Similarly, if weeks or months go by with
very small levels of posting activity or other dialogue between members, this
would raise the question of whether that constituency is as engaged as it
should be on the important matters of GNSO policy, and whether that
constituency deserves to have voting representation on GNSO council.

Public budgets, financial statements and related financial disclosures are
basics of good governance, especially those serving the public interest. Just
as ICANN itself has IRS Form 990 and other financial reporting obligations, the
bar should be set equally high for its policy making bodies.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
President
Leap of Faith Financial Services Inc.
http://www.leap.com/

(a member of the Business Constituency, but our comments are submitted solely
on our own behalf)