ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consumercci-dt]

[gnso-consumercci-dt] suggestions gathered in Dakar

  • To: "gnso-consumercci-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-consumercci-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-consumercci-dt] suggestions gathered in Dakar
  • From: Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 02:17:07 +0000

Hello, all.   Are we having our regular call this week?

Here are transcripts and notes from Dakar discussions of our Consumer Trust
working group.
Attached is the transcript from a brief discussion at GNSO Working session on
Sat 22-Oct.
Also attached are the slides we presented in Dakar on Saturday and Wednesday.
Below are my notes from the working session on Wednesday.
At bottom is the note I sent to the US GAC representative Suzanne Radell.  (no
reply received yet)

The Consumer Trust working group held an open meeting on Wednesday 26-Oct in
Dakar.   We went thru the slides in 15 minutes, then opened to discussion for
45 minutes.  Several attendees complimented the WG on our progress.  Some
notable suggestions:

Carlos Aguirre:  Competition and Choice are inter-related.  He's offering this
clarification we could add to both definitions:
Competition is closely related to the idea of consumer choice.  In fact,
competition and consumer choice can be seen as two parts of the same whole,
since both touch both providers and consumers of service.  All stakeholders
have an interest in providing choice and in avoiding monopoly in order to
create an open and informed market for all participants.

Andy Mack, AM Global:   May need to move quickly to fit this work into the
process of attracting gTLD applications that will achieve these metrics.  That
is, if we are going to measure the new gTLD program partly on diversity of
scripts and languages, then shouldn't the Applicant Support Program be adjusted
to attract more IDN scripts?

Jeff Brueggeman, ATT:
"On slide 11, in addition to market shares I would examine prices, both retail
and wholesale, for the new and existing TLDs.  Retail for obvious reasons, to
see If the prices are high because the new TLD has some market power (see .xxx)
or low because it doesn’t (see .net) and to see what happens to .com.
Wholesale prices are interesting to the extent that competition forces even the
regulated prices such as .com to fall or not."

ATT: "you may wish to amend the proposed definition of consumer, which now is
internet users and registrants.  The issue is that complaints about defensive
registrations do not always result from a registrant, but rather from being a
trademark owner.  Perhaps the definition can be tweaked to include them."

ATT: "under Choice, it may be worth adding in something about innovations,
beyond just the number of TLDs.  For instance, regardless of what one thinks
about .xxx they are talking about screening registrants  in order to increase
credit card acceptance (for some strange reason banks are reluctant to accept
most adult websites today)"

Wendy Seltzer:  we are not being normative in this work.   We are attempting to
be descriptive of what could be measured, in terms of competition, choice and
trust.

Dave Cohen: asked if this work will "solve the alternate root problem."
DelBianco replied that new TLD metrics could be measured for non-ICANN roots,
but any achievements there would not be directly attributable to ICANN's new
gLTD program.

Annelisa Roger: for Choice we should also measure the geographic diversity of
REGISTRANTS in these new TLDs.

Berry Cobb:  suggested we measure whether any new gTLDs are blocked in any
countries.

Olivier Crepin Leblond:  ALAC will discuss a charter and will attempt to keep
it similar to GNSO Charter.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:  let's do a public comment period on our draft Advice --
before sending the the AC/Sos

Steve thanked Rosemary Sinclair, ICANN staff, and other WG members in the room.