ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consumercci-dt]

[gnso-consumercci-dt] Fwd: Proposal for more metrics to keep track of

  • To: "gnso-consumercci-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-consumercci-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-consumercci-dt] Fwd: Proposal for more metrics to keep track of
  • From: Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 21:24:03 +0000

Dear all,

having cut out at least 10 times during the call (180mph plus tunnels
etc. on the railway line), I was not able to voice my input regarding
the measures from the perspective of an Internet user and non registrant.
I conclude that it is practically impossible to take part in a
conference call on a cellular phone whilst on the Paris to London
Eurostar high speed train. ;-)

As I have mentioned at the end of the call, the metrics table is a great
piece of work, but I am concerned that it only incorporates consumer
metrics and no user metric (as in "user that is not a registrant")

I propose the following measurements:

* SOCIETAL
- confusion induced in Internet users, by introduction of new gTLDs (can
be derived from a regular on-line opinion poll)

* SPAM
- percentage of spam received by a "honeypot", using new gTLDs, as a
percentage of all spam received

* FRAUD
- any non linear rise in fraudulent transactions caused by phishing sites
- percentage of detected phishing sites using a new gTLD

* RECORDS
- percentage of invalid/suspect WHOIS records in each new gTLD

* TECHNICAL
- a whole set of metrics about the cleanliness of the new gTLD zones
(already included in some of our metrics - this is essentially a report
in the cleanliness of the DNS -- errors in the zone (commas instead of
dots etc.), erroneous IP addresses, malformed domains, etc.

Please be so kind to let me know if this is feasible and along your line
of thinking.

Kind regards,

Olivier

--