ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consumercci-dt]

Re: [gnso-consumercci-dt] Fwd: Proposal for more metrics to keep track of

  • To: Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl@xxxxxxx>, "gnso-consumercci-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-consumercci-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-consumercci-dt] Fwd: Proposal for more metrics to keep track of
  • From: Michael Salazar <michael.salazar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 13:50:52 -0800

All,

My sincere apologies for not being able to attend recent conference calls
- been a "little" distracted on being operational ready for the launch of
the program in 33 days!!

Olivier - my thoughts on the proposed measurements you have outlined (and
I admit to being an outsider given my recent participation record):

SOCIETAL  - might users initially be confused no matter what measures are
put in place to prevent confusion?  My  concern is that we will most
certainly get some sort of negative result initially but those negative
results will tend to decline over time as users become accustomed to a
different structure (or as search engines find ways to effectively handle
the introduction of a number of new gTLDs).  I am not sure if this
necessarily measures the success (or not) of the program.

SPAM - Would this be by all new gTLDs versus existing TLDs?  I know we
have stayed away from creating categories of gTLDs because our view is
that the user community/market will naturally create those categories.
Perhaps this can be measured by categories of gTLDs (as defined by the
community/market) as opposed to all new gTLDs.  My concern is combining
gTLDs that have taken appropriate measures with those that have not and
using this as an overall measure of the program.