ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consumercci-dt]

RE: [gnso-consumercci-dt] LAST CALL: hopefully the final version of our Draft Advice

  • To: "'Consumer CCI DT'" <gnso-consumercci-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-consumercci-dt] LAST CALL: hopefully the final version of our Draft Advice
  • From: "Berry Cobb" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 16:44:33 -0700

Team,

Per the WG's request, attached are the TLD, Ry, & Rr counts to be included
in the metrics statements for Competition.  I'm only providing the numbers
here, as I wanted to poll the WG as to how they should be labeled in the
Advice Letter.  Within the spreadsheet, review the green tabs which contain
pivot tables counting the entities.  Here are the quick take aways:

1.       Source IANA.org db:

a.       Quantity of total TLDs before and after expansion, assuming that
gTLDs and ccTLDs generally compete for the same registrants - 314

                                                               i.      326
TLDs delegated at the root

1.       293 Country Code (38 IDN)

2.       21 Generic (4 generic, 3 generic-restricted, 14 sponsored)

3.       12 others (1 infrastructure, 11 test)

b.      Quantity of gTLDs before and after expansion - 21

                                                               i.      21
Generic TLDs (4 generic, 3 generic-restricted, 14 sponsored)

c.       Quantity of unique Registry Operators before and after expansion -
304

                                                               i.
326-2(not assigned, IANA)-22(RO w/ more than 1 TLD)=304

d.      Quantity of Registry Service Providers before and after expansion

                                                               i.      No
accurate number can be derived from the IANA dB.  I attempted to capture the
Technical contact within the IANA record, however there are some TLDs that
list the RO as the Technical contact, when I know one of the major RSPs
provide the backend service.

                                                             ii.      Of the
Generic TLDs there are 5 RSPs (Afilias, Neustar, VeriSign, CORE, PIR)

                                                            iii.      I
vaguely recall a tweet from DomainIncite where Kevin maintains a list of
providers, and that number was in the low teens (existing + new entrants)

2.       Source ICANN Accredited Registrars List

a.       Quantity of Registrars before and after expansion - 1000

                                                               i.
Within the pivot table, you will find a count of Rr by country

Please let me know if you have questions.  Thank you.  B

Berry Cobb

720.839.5735

mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

@berrycobb