ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consumercci-dt]

Update: [gnso-consumercci-dt] CCI WG Next Steps

  • To: "gnso-consumercci-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-consumercci-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Update: [gnso-consumercci-dt] CCI WG Next Steps
  • From: Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 15:44:52 +0000

Team --

After I circulated a draft on Monday, I had some discussions that prompted me
to make some revisions before our Friday WG call.  (attached v2.1.1)

First, I realized we should clarify items 2.1 and 2.3 so it's obvious that Open
TLDs are still included.  So I changed it to " This measure includes open TLDs
and closed keyword TLDs, but not closed brand TLDs."

Second, I may have been too quick to eliminate closed TLDs from three of the
competition metrics.  (3.1, 3.2, and 3.3 ).    Here's why:

In the Monday draft, I suggested items 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3 use "Open TLDs only"
because most registrants won't view closed TLDs as competition to legacy TLDs,
since they won't be able to register their domains there.   That's true of
community TLDs, too.

But some quantity of registrants will see community and closed TLDs as
competition for their registration.   For example,  Amazon will view .amazon
and their own .book TLD as competing with legacy TLDs for registering Amazon's
current 2nd level domains.

And Internet Users can always access domains in closed TLDs (sports.book,
search.Amazon) so Users will always view closed TLDs as competition for legacy
TLDs.

So upon reflection, I think we should retain our original "all gTLDs" approach
for 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3