ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg]

[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] Expert Working Group to Determine IDN Registration Data Requirements

  • To: "gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] Expert Working Group to Determine IDN Registration Data Requirements
  • From: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 12:25:13 -0700

Dear Charter Drafting Team members,

Working Group on Translation/Transliteration of Contact Information versus
the issue of internationalization of domain name registration data in
general, please see below more information about the expert working group
ICANN is establishing to address the broader issue. The announcement is
posted here:
http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-08jul13-en.htm and
the Call for Volunteers may be found here:
http://www.icann.org/en/about/aoc-review/whois/call-for-experts-ird-08jul13-
en.pdf.

Note in particular that the Call for Volunteers document distinguishes the
work of the expert working group to determine appropriate Internationalized
Domain Name registration data requirements and data model for Registration
Data Directory Services from the work of the PDP Working Group on
Translation/Transliteration of Contact Information as follows:

> 3. Relationship with GNSO PDP on Translation and Transliteration of Contact
> Information
>

> At its meeting on 13 June 2013, the GNSO Council initiated a Policy
> Development Process (PDP) on the translation and transliteration of contact
> information. The WG is expected to address the following issues:
> * Whether it is desirable to translate contact information to a single common
> language or transliterate contact information to a single common script.
> * Who should decide who should bear the burden translating contact information
> to a single common language or transliterating contact information to a single
> common script.
> The expert working group will not address these issues raised in the GNSO PDP,
> and will create placeholders in the final product pending the completion of
> the PDP.

Thus, the expert working group will

* Determine the requirements for internationalized registration data
* Produce a data model for the IRD that matches the requirement
The recommendations of the PDP WG on Translation/Transliteration of Contact
Information, if they are approved by the GNSO Council, will be incorporated
into the data model.

I hope that this information is helpful, but please don't hesitate to
contact me if you have further questions.

Best regards,

Julie

Julie Hedlund, Policy Director