ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg]

[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] Attendance and Recording Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Charter Drafting Team meeting - 22 August 2013

  • To: "gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] Attendance and Recording Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Charter Drafting Team meeting - 22 August 2013
  • From: Nathalie Peregrine <nathalie.peregrine@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 13:28:42 -0700

Dear All,

The next Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Charter
Drafting Team teleconference will be held on Thursday 29th August 2013 at 1500
UTC. These calls will now take place on a weekly basis.

PLEASE RSVP TO GNSO-SECS@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:GNSO-SECS@xxxxxxxxx> FOR NEXT WEEK'S
CALL.

Please find the MP3 recording for the Translation and Transliteration of
Contact Information PDP Charter Drafting Team  call held on Thursday 22 August
2013 at 15:00 UTC at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-transliteration-contact-20130822-en.mp3

On page:
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#may>aug

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO
Master Calendar page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:
Chris Dillon - NCSG
Rudi Vansnick - NPOC
Vinay Kumar Singh - individual
Amr Elsadr - NCUC

Apologies: none

ICANN staff:
Julie Hedlund
Lars Hoffman
Glen de Saint Gery
Nathalie Peregrine

 Wiki page: http://tinyurl.com/mpwxstx

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Nathalie Peregrine
For GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Chat Transcript for Wednesday 22 August 2013:

Glen de Saint Gery:Welcome to the Translation and transliteration of Contact
Information PDP working Group

  Julie Hedlund:Welcome Chris and Vinay

  Vinay Kumar Singh:Hi Julie

  Chris Dillon:Hi Julie and Vinay

  Vinay Kumar Singh:Hi Chris

  Rudi Vansnick:is ok

  Julie Hedlund:Ching Chiao          RySG     Ching Chiao SOIEdmon Chung
RySG     Edmon Chung SOIChris Dillon     NCSG                Chris Dillon
SOIAmr Elsadr            NCUC    Amr Elsadr SOIYoav Keren           RrSG
Yoav Keren SOIVinay Kumar Singh                Individual            Vinay
Kumar Singh SOIRudi Vansnick

  Vinay Kumar Singh:No

  Julie Hedlund:How about adding this text? "The PDP-WG will not be limited to
considering the above alternatives, but will be encouraged to consider all
possible alternatives."

  Chris Dillon:Very nice

  Julie Hedlund:To following immediately below the bullets.

  Chris Dillon:Yes

  Rudi Vansnick:that's why it is important we could receive input before
finalizing the charter from people having experience with IDN's such as Edmon
Chung

  Julie Hedlund:Thank you Rudi.  They are on the DT.  We can ask them
specifically to comment too.

  Julie Hedlund:By "they" I mean both Edmon Chung and Ching Chao.

  Rudi Vansnick:indeed Julie

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Amr Elsadr has joined the call

  Rudi Vansnick:welcome Amr

  Amr Elsadr:The toll free number to dial in in the U.S. is not working. Can I
get a confirmation on the number please?

  Amr Elsadr:Hi Rudi. Still haven't dialled in.

  Rudi Vansnick:thanks a lot for the clarification Julie

  Vinay Kumar Singh:Julie, thats sound good

  Vinay Kumar Singh:Julie, thats sound good

  Julie Hedlund:Here is some suggested text to add after the first sentence:
"The PDP-WG also may consult with ICANN Legal staff when considering
alternatives."

  Amr Elsadr:Can I speak using Adobe connect by connecting Audio?

  Chris Dillon:I think so.

  Amr Elsadr:Thnx Chris.

  Rudi Vansnick:good point Amr

  Julie Hedlund:How about this? "In addition, the PDP-WG should review the work
of other PDPs relating to IDNs and WHOIS."

  Amr Elsadr:Sounds good, Julie.

  Julie Hedlund:I think that rather than listing specific PDPs we could just
leave it open.

  Julie Hedlund:Okay

  Julie Hedlund:I can pull these from the wiki as a start

  Julie Hedlund:They all are on the GNSO wiki both past and present

  Rudi Vansnick:thanks Julie, good idea, you're great ;-)

  Amr Elsadr:;)

  Vinay Kumar Singh:I think its good now

  Vinay Kumar Singh:Probably I will go once again through the document and list
down the legal issues that would may arise during the policy development

  Chris Dillon:Thank you

  Julie Hedlund:Chris and Rudi, I think that what you have said is right.  The
WG cannot decide who will bear the burden, but can suggest who should take that
decision.

  Julie Hedlund:They could suggest that the registrar should bear the burden,
but since this is a policy issue it could say that the Board could make that
decision.

  Julie Hedlund:Yes, there are legal considerations as Rudi points out.

  Vinay Kumar Singh:I agree with Rudi, because their will be legal implications
in those scenarios

  Rudi Vansnick:perhaps the easiest solution exists in asking the registrant to
do the translation themself

  Amr Elsadr:I think I'm beginning to understand the complexity of the issue.
If you all don't mind, I'll try to look into this a bit further, and perhaps
continue the discussion on the mailing list if I come up with something.

  Chris Dillon:Many thanks!

  Rudi Vansnick:sure i was just thinking loud

  Rudi Vansnick:so we have a tasklist for the next days

  Vinay Kumar Singh:Just to add, I am a Law Student :-)

  Amr Elsadr::D

  Rudi Vansnick:i'll take on mine to try to convince Edmon and Ching to help us
with their experiences

  Rudi Vansnick:can we still add others ?

  Julie Hedlund:Yes, of course!

  Julie Hedlund:If you have others you want to encourage that would be great.

  Julie Hedlund:This DT is not limited.

  Rudi Vansnick:ok

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks everyone.

  Julie Hedlund:Thank you all!