ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg]

RE: [gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] Re: Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Working Group Thursday 30 October 2014 / some further comments/questions, etc

  • To: "petter.rindforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <petter.rindforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Emily Taylor" <emily.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] Re: Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Working Group Thursday 30 October 2014 / some further comments/questions, etc
  • From: "Tan Tanaka, Dennis" <dtantanaka@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 13:50:58 +0000

In regards this statement “Registries and Registrars are encouraged to only use
 US-ASCII encoding and character repertoire for WHOIS port 43 output.”. The
paragraph from ICANN advisory notes on Sep 12 states:

As described in RFC 3912, the WHOIS protocol (port-43) has not been
internationalized. While a substitute protocol is being developed in the IETF,
Registries and Registrars are encouraged to only use US-ASCII encoding and
character repertoire for WHOIS (port-43) output. If the
RegistryOperator/Registrar uses characters outside of the US-ASCII repertoire,
the output MUST be encoded in UTF-8 to maximize the chances of interoperability.
Although iCANN encourages use of US-ASCII it does not exclude the use of other
characters sets as long as they are encoded in UTF-8.

Contact Information PDP Working Group Thursday 30 October 2014 / some further
comments/questions, etc

Thanks, Emily.

I'll have a meeting within 20 min from now to further discuss this topic (at
INTA).

Best,
Petter

--
Petter Rindforth, LL M

Fenix Legal KB
Stureplan 4c, 4tr
114 35 Stockholm
Sweden
Fax: +46(0)8-4631010
Direct phone: +46(0)702-369360
E-mail: petter.rindforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:petter.rindforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
www.fenixlegal.eu<http://www.fenixlegal.eu>

NOTICE
This e-mail message is intended solely for the individual or individuals to
whom it is addressed. It may contain confidential attorney-client privileged
information and attorney work product. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, you are requested not to read, copy or distribute it or any
of the information it contains. Please delete it immediately and notify us by
return e-mail.
Fenix Legal KB, Sweden, www.fenixlegal.eu<http://www.fenixlegal.eu>
Thank you

11 november 2014, Emily Taylor