ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-contro-wg]

[gnso-contro-wg] issue of confusing similar

  • To: Controversial TLDs <gnso-contro-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-contro-wg] issue of confusing similar
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:56:45 -0400

Hi,

(i thought i sent this before the meeting, but it was sitting on my desktop)

In trying to think about the IDN report consideration of confusing similar, I had two thoughts.

1. there should be nothing special about controversial names in terms of confusingly simlar.

2. oops. do we need to deal with names that are confusingly similar to names that would be controversial or on the disputed list. to put it bluntly, would the brand name 'fcuk' be a problem because it was confusingly similar to something that would be controversial - would we have a situation where it was both protected and prohibited. more simply, would a name like .natzi be a confusingly similar to a controversial name?

this is a different variation on the confusingly similar issue and is one that shows how slippery the slop we are on actually is.

a.