ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois]

Re: [gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois] RE: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg] Addition to Privacy summary

  • To: Don Blumenthal <dblumenthal@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois] RE: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg] Addition to Privacy summary
  • From: Carlton Samuels <carlton.samuels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 17:46:15 -0500

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Don Blumenthal <dblumenthal@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Therefore, given the number of existing and pending new gTLDs that use or
> will use a thick Whois model, the clear need for ICANN examination of data
> protection and privacy issues in the context of Whois data, and the
> likelihood that contracted party ability to address legal concerns will
> increase, the Working Group sees no need not to move ahead with future
> thick Whois registries based on data protection and privacy concerns.  A
> consistent approach to registry managem!
>  ent has value.

+1, I agree.

A summary can be a double-edged sword for sure.  So if we finally decide on
one, maybe we should include a few sentences that contextualize this issue
within the framework of confidence in and the stability of the DNS.

The choices are stark; either improvements in the 'know your customer' and
accountability regimes or further erosion of confidence with every other
case of Internet-enabled fraud, theft and general misfeasance.

Then there is the risk that continuing on the same path raises the risk
that governments will be compelled to act.  And you can expect the control
regimes to be different, further undermining the concept of an open and
global internet community to which we are committed.

BTW, governments, even the
hand-on-heart-we-are-for-freedom-of-association-assembly-religion-<name any
of such here> have no qualms in enacting laws and rules even more rank in
crass intrusion in the private space, rubbishing personal privacy.  Oh
sure, they justify this by invoking the collective security and that of the
state.  Examples are not hard to find.

-Carlton

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799