ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

RE: [gnso-dow123] Draft questions

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dow123] Draft questions
  • From: "Paul Stahura" <stahura@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:21:53 -0800

Yes, in your example it would be hard to move the principal operations
of NeuLevel.

But, what is the definition of "principal operations"?

Using the same registry-type example, how hard would it be to move, say
PIR?

They have shopped out all their operations to another firm, so in effect
they have no operations.

Plus they can shift to another back-end operator who is at a different
location.

I'm talking about a registrar that shops out all of its "operations" to
a third party (there are many nowadays).

Regardless, these back-end operations are completely internet-based, and
interfacing to a registry

and displaying whois information is not that complicated, so the servers
performing the "principal operations" can be moved fairly easily.

We'll see how ICANN answers, but I can picture registrars, and even
registries, moving either their place-of-incorporation or their
"operations" for competitive reasons.