ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] National variation among Registrars = fair competition and consumer choice

  • To: Milton Mueller <Mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] National variation among Registrars = fair competition and consumer choice
  • From: "Ross Wm. Rader" <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:56:58 -0500

On 3/13/2005 6:40 PM Milton Mueller noted that:

Tim:
So let's see, I expose logical flaws in your refusal to permit VERY
controlled, case-by-case exceptions to the RAA to permit the 3/4 of the
world that does not reside in North American to be able to compete, and
then you equate this with throwing out the RAA altogether and a return
to the NSI monopoly.

Milton -

Canada has some pretty strong, consumer oriented privacy legislation. I think we're actually just talking about the United States here. Which sort of makes this "lobby" misplaced. Creating exceptions creates patchwork compliance. Instead, the discussion really should be focused on finding a globally acceptable solution.

There is a lot to commend finding the common denominator that will allow consumers and businesses operating in environments with stricter privacy legislation to co-exist with those operating in laissez-faire environments such as the U.S. It shouldn't be difficult to raise the bar and find this point.

-- Regards,

-rwr

"In the modern world the intelligence of public opinion is the one indispensable condition for social progress."
- Charles W. Eliot (1834 - 1926)