ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

[gnso-dow123] Whois tf 123 Transcription 15 March 2005

  • To: gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-dow123] Whois tf 123 Transcription 15 March 2005
  • From: "GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:35:31 +0100

[To: gnso-dow123[at]gnso.icann.org]

Attached please find the transcription of the Whois task force 123 teleconference held on 15 March 2005.

Please let me know if you would like anything changed.

Thank you.
Kind regards,
--
Glen de Saint Géry
GNSO Secretariat - ICANN
gnso.secretariat[at]gnso.icann.org
http://gnso.icann.org
<!--#set var="bartitle" value="WHOIS Task Forces 1 2 3 teleconference
transcription"-->
<!--#set var="pagetitle" value="WHOIS Task Force 1 2 3 teleconference
transcription"-->
<!--#set var="pagedate" value="15 March 2005" value=""-->
<!--#set var="bgcell" value="#ffffff"-->
<!--#include virtual="/header.shtml"-->
<!--#exec cmd="/usr/bin/perl /etc/gnso/menu.pl 'WHOIS Task Force 1 2 3
teleconference transcription'"-->
<h4 align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><b>WHOIS Task
Forces
  1 2 3<br>
  15 March 2005 - Transcription</b></font></h4>
representatives:<br>
  gTLD Registries constituency: - Jeff Neuman</font><b><font face="Arial,
Helvetica, sans-serif">
face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">
  Registrars constituency - Jordyn Buchanan - Co-Chair<br>
  Commercial and Business Users constituency - Marilyn Cade Cade</font><b><font
face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><br>
Helvetica, sans-serif">Internet
  Service and Connectivity Providers constituency - Greg
  - Tom Keller Keller <br>
Stahura</font><br>
  Ross Rader<br>
Tim
  Ruiz <br>
  Intellectual Property Interests Constituency - Steve Metalitz Metalitz <br>
  Intellectual Property Interests Constituency - Niklas Lagergren,<br>
  Non Commercial Users Constituency - Milton Mueller Mueller <br>
  Non Commercial Users Constituency - Kathy Kleiman Kleiman<br>
  At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) liaisons - Thomas Roessler <br>
  At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) liaisons - Bret Fausett</font></p>
  Paul Verhoef - Vice President, Policy Development Support <br>
  John Jeffrey Jeff Neumanrey - General Counsel<br>
  Dan Halloran - Deputy General Counsel<br>
  Olof Nordling - Manager of Policy Development Coordination<br>
  Maria Farrell Farrell - GNSO Policy Officer<br>
  Barbara Roseman</font> <font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">
  IANA Operations Manager ( previously Staff Manager)<br>
Glen
  de Saint G&eacute;ry <br>
Users
  constituency - David Fares</font><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica,
sans-serif">
Helvetica, sans-serif">Internet
  Service and Connectivity Providers constituency: - Antonio
  - apologies<br>
  gTLD Registries constituency - David Maher - apologies<br>
Interests
  Constituency - Jeremy Banks</font><br>
  - Marc Schneiders </font> - <font face="Arial, Helvetica,
sans-serif">apologies
Connectivity
  Providers constituency - Maggie Mansourkia</font><font face="Arial,
Helvetica, sans-serif">
Helvetica, sans-serif">
Helvetica, sans-serif"></font>
  liaisons - Wendy Seltzer</font> <br>
Helvetica, sans-serif"><br>
  (Sound quality poor in some parts of the call.)<br>
  Coordinator The call is being recorded at this time. If you have any
objections,
  you may disconnect.</font></p>
purposes
  of this recording this is the Whois Task Force to Combine One, Two, Three.
The
  first order of business is a discussion with ICANN on a memo we had received
  or an e-mail we had received on December 20th with concerns related to the
Whois
  Task Force, at the time, One and Two document called Procedure for Conflicts,
  which was posted on or about November 30, 2004. </font></p>
  of the constituencies. At this point in time we may be missing a member from
  the business constituency, but other than that we are represented by the
constituencies
  and the ALAC and we are going through a document that we have called List of
  Questions for ICANN General Council.</font></p>
  just go in order of the questions. The first question was, as we read points
  four and five of the December 20th memo, the principle concerns seem to be a)
  the provision in bullet three is step three that lays down a general rule
regarding
  the general councils recommendation, b) the requirement that enforces action
  against a non-compliant registrar and these circumstances be taken only with
  the approval of the ICANN board of directors, c) the expectation that the
recommendation
  to the board would, at least ordinarily in step five, see step five, be made
  public and d) the allocation of certain views to the general council rather
  than to other parts of the ICANN staff. </font></p>
  is, are these actually principle subsequent concerns as a recommendation? If
  so, they seem like legitimate concerns and so are there any other concerns
that
  we should know about with regards to this memo, I guess is the broad
question.</font></p>
here.</font></p>
  we get to the questions, maybe a couple of general things, not only for the
  record, but also because we haven't had a chance, all of us, to talk about
this,
  following this, I guess, in the mean time, illustrious e-mail.</font></p>
intention
  of the staff was certainly not to stop the task forces in developing policy,
  on the contrary, you are there to do exactly that and we are there to assist
  in that. So we hope that we can make some progress.</font></p>
  do was raise a number of questions and issues and comments to you, in your
consideration
  of possible policy options, particularly as some it foresees the involvement
  of staff, not only staff, but also the board. Obviously we're also interested
  to ensure with you that we find the most effective way of actually
implementing
  those policies. So the comments of the e-mails were raised in that spirit, in
  trying to go a level deeper and go to a deeper understanding of some of the
  possible implications of some of the options you are considering.</font></p>
found
  the questions extremely useful and a good way forward in order to understand
  what some of the issues are in front of all of you. We have a series of broad
  answers too, in which John Jeffrey and I and the colleagues collectively will
provide
  you with.</font></p>
  developing policy and we very much urge you to move further and you have all
  the staff, and you know in the meantime we have some extra colleagues
onboard,
  so we would be in an increasingly good position to help you and pick up some
  of the necessary underpinnings of it.</font></p>
  I probably should have given a better introduction to that and we appreciate
  that, and we know that your role is to help us. I don't think anyone on this
  taskforce feels that you guys are trying to get in the way. So I appreciate
  all of you joining this call, so that we can move forward on all of these
issues.</font></p>
Paul or
  who wants to answer.</font></p>
  to begin with question one, if that's helpful.</font></p>
you.</font></p>
  Jeffrey Jeff ,I think the question is very well stated and it does summarize
  many of our concerns, many of our principle concerns. A couple of additional
  things that I thought were worthy of raising; one is that the disclosures
that
  are required have this confidentiality provision in them. The confidentially
  provision, by its very nature, creates some potential conflicts with, at
least
  for the general councils office, in terms of how to keep compliance with the
  contractual provisions, where there is an issue that has been raised.
  investigation has started and there's been a specific direction request from
  the national government that the registrar not follow the Whois policy. There
  would be some concern that if we were provided that information in
confidence,
  through the report, but where not able to make public notice of that, then we
  might be conflicted in terms of how we might be able to require compliance,
  if for example, there's an interpretation issue relating to the advisement by
  the national entity, to the registrar. So I think there are some concerns
that
  we have about the confidentiality provision and how it interplays as part of
  the procedure.</font></p>
limitations
  on board actions, and we're specifically concerned about that. I think that
  limiting board actions in a hypothetical situation is a very difficult thing
  to do, and I certainly would be concerned about whether that creates
conflicts
  with our bylaws and conflicts with the provisions of the bylaws that relate
  to capture of ICANN.</font></p>
  would be concerned about is that the way that the procedure is worded it
says,
  &quot;Shall&quot; a lot. I think that where we limit staff and board actions
  in hypothetical situations it could be dangerous, and we would prefer to have
  this be in the form of a recommendation. </font></p>
  how to make your recommendation on these policy objectives. But certainly
there
  are concerns that we have about a procedure that sets out a specific path,
knowing
  that the laws, the types of conflicts, the problems that might fall under
this,
  could be very unique to the situation and might require steps that would
deviate
  from the procedure, in order to make the most effective decisions.</font></p>
concepts,
  and perhaps some of the other issues will come out as we go through the other
  questions. Does anybody have any questions relating to that or how do you
want
  to approach covering the rest of the questions?</font></p>
  up for questions. I think we should also make a general statement, since this
  is being recorded, that the purpose of this memo was that the taskforce,
actually
  originally taskforce two has recognized that there are a number of national
  laws that may, and I stress may, because I'm not aware of any specific
decision
  out there, but that may conflict with a registrars or registry's obligation
  to both collect and display all of the Whois data that's required under the
  registrar accreditation agreement, and so the purpose of document is to try
  to come up with some sort of procedure, when in fact that was the case. I
just
  wanted to take to the record, so that that's on the recording.</font></p>
questions
  with respect to &#133;?</font></p>
  could add one more point. I think the one other concern that we have is that
  this deals very specifically with how national laws or national decisions or
  local policy or local laws conflict with contractual obligations of
registrars
  or in some cases registries. The additional concern is that &#133;.</font></p>
could
  put their phone on mute, please.</font></p>
additional
  concern is that this a much broader area than just relating to Whois, and
there
  are many other national laws, which might from time to time conflict with the
  contractual provisions in the RAA or in a registry agreement. So we're
interested
  in, from a scope perspective, whether it was intended to be broader than
Whois
  or whether it was intended to be limited to just the Whois situation, and
related
  to that, how those issues are defined. Sorry about that, now I'm quite ready
  to answer questions.</font></p>
  Jeff Neuman.</font></p>
queue.
  So I've got Milton Mueller, is there anybody after Milton Mueller?</font></p>
  here , please.</font></p>
okay.
  Anybody else?</font></p>
Kleiman.</font></p>
  Kathy Kleiman? Okay Milton Mueller, you're up.</font></p>
trying
  to understand what you're saying Mr. Jeffreys, when you talk about it's
dangerous
  to limit board and staff actions. I mean I think I understand that we don't
  want to have rules that are not well-suited to variations in situations. But
  from the point of view of the GNSO, whose task is to make policy, doesn't
making
  policy by definition, isn't it designed to limit or direct board and staff
actions?
  In other words isn't it the purpose of what we do here is to guide setup
consensus
  rules, which in fact, limit what the board or the staff does or directs what
  they do?</font></p>
  let Paul answer this, as well. But the issue that we have or the question
that
  we have is whether a policy such as this is intended to be a restriction on
  staff and board, or whether it's intended to be, whether a policy is intended
  to the registries and the registrars as it comes from the GNSO. I'm not
aware,
  and you may be, of another policy that restricts specific actions of the
general
  council's office or restricts the specific actions of the board as it relates
  to a specific policy.</font></p>
  that the RAA itself can be modified through the GNSO process. So if we as a
  GNSO put something into the RAA, then you as council are obligated to enforce
  that or interpret it in certain ways. Right?</font></p>
  clear. Are there specific instances that you're aware of where there has been
  policy generated that is a specific restriction on the actions of staff or
onboard?</font></p>
  not going to give you chapter and verse now, because I think that would
require
  me to consult documents and I don't have time to do that. But I think it's
always
  been my understanding of the GNSOs role that we are essentially - if we push
  a policy up to the board, and the board accepts it, which of course they have
  to do, that the board is in effect agreeing to have its actions limited or
guided
  by the policy. So maybe this is a semantic difference, I'm not sure we mean
  the same thing by limiting the board and staff actions, which is what I'm
trying
  to get at with this question.</font></p>
  that we'd be interested in the details behind what you're asking. I think
certainly
  if a policy comes up to the board and the board adopts such a policy, then
those
  policies are binding on staff, they're binding on the board. I'm just
interested
  in how the scope of the policy intended to restrict specific actions that may
  impact the way that we, in this case, the way that we would create compliance
  with an existing agreement or the way that the board could take a specific
action.
  I'm not aware of other things like this that have required the board to act
  in a specific manner, in response to a specific scenario. So I would be
interested
  in details of that, and we can certainly take this into another call, or on
  to some written dialogue.</font></p>
  think we want to get that detailed at this point.</font></p>
Mueller,
  can I go on to Tom Keller?</font></p>
Yes.</font></p>
Keller
just
  more or less a point of clarification. If we only consider Whois on that and
  the scope of the whole policy and the whole procedure would be only Whois,
that's
  because John Jeffrey asked about that, it has nothing else to do with any
other
  problems, which might arise from the RAA on other regulations, it's really
only
  pointed into the Whois direction.</font></p>
  how you define whether it falls into a Whois issue or not, could you address
  that, as well, Tom Keller?</font></p>
  we just started, if something comes up, where a registrar can't comply to
exactly
  the rules which are set down in the RAA, which asks a registrar to do certain
  things, that at that point of time, his procedure would kick in, and to no
other
  regard.</font></p>
just
  to clarify, and we could probably clarify this in the draft too, is really
with
  respect to the collection of and display of Whois data. Those are two
separate
  obligations in the registrar accreditation agreement. Anybody jump in, if you
  think I've misstated. But I think those are the two items with respect to
Whois.</font></p>
just
  raise a point there, in step one of the procedure, in the language, it's very
  board. The definition of a Whois preceding, basically says anything that
might
  affect compliance with the RAA.</font></p>
that
  spoke?</font></p>
  Jeff </font></p>
Jeffrey,
  it didn't sound like you. So is that something that we should address in the
  draft? Kathy Kleiman, you're next.</font></p>
  you. Two points, one of what we were just talking about. John Jeffrey, does
  it help under the procedure for conflicts, the step by step, I'm pretty sure
  that was circulated, the very first paragraph opens, &quot;&#133; taskforce
  to anticipated &quot;An ongoing risk of conflict between a registrar or
registry's
  legal obligations under local privacy laws and their contractual obligations
  to ICANN&quot;&quot; and that's from taskforce two's report last
year.</font></p>
thought
  that the scope went beyond that kind of issue, the specific local privacy
laws,
  not into every kind of contractual issue. So I'm sure we'd welcome how to
draft
  that, but the scope, I thought, was pretty narrow.</font></p>
  thought this through, but my question would be whether local privacy laws
might
  conflict with any other provision within the RAA.</font></p>
  actually, but we didn't entrust that, to that point.</font></p>
  the point is that we need - that ICANN is asking that we provide more clarity
  as to what we intended to do. I think that's easily rectified, at least from
  our perspective. So I think one of our action items is to clarify the
scope.</font></p>
  move on to a different point?</font></p>
  to respond to the issue of the confidentiality. That the report had made the
  recommendation, depending on the special circumstances of the Whois
proceeding,
  the registrar registry may request that ICANN keep all corresponding between
  the party's confidential, depending the outcome of the Whois proceeding. So
  it's not confidential in perpetuity, necessarily but just during the
proceeding.
rational
  behind that, which is that in talking with companies that have been involved,
  in not the same kind of proceeding, but similar, they said that rarely is
there
  immediately some kind of lawsuit that's filed. Initially what happens is
there
  are inquiries by a government investigator and that you don't want to make
those
  inquiries public, initially, you want to be responsive to them.</font></p>
ICANN
  knew about those kinds of inquiries, but we wanted to ask for the
confidentiality,
  because it was the sense of the companies that I spoke to, as well as
prosecutors
  that I spoke to and that others did, because a number of people contributed
  to this, that if you immediately make public inquiries about a criminal
investigation,
  you will become the target of the criminal investigation, you will become the
  defendant, rather than just the person answering questions. So we wanted to
  make sure that kind of the general confidentiality of a criminal
investigation
  was maintained, to give as much protection to the registrar and registry, as
  possible.</font></p>
  may I ask a question, this is Paul?</font></p>
  ahead.</font></p>
under
  those circumstances would be the purpose of informing ICANN during the
procedure,
  just merely that the staff is aware of what is going on? How do I understand
  this? Because my reading of it is that the ICANN staff, will as a result of
  the confidentiality, not be able to do anything, they cannot discuss it with
  any existing taskforces, for example, or anything else. So there isn't very
  much that we can do with it.</font></p>
was
  considerable debate over this and I invite others who remember, you know
going
  back to the deep, dark days a year ago. But there was a sense from some
people
  that ICANN should not be notified until the end, whatever the outcome is.
There
  was a sense of other people, and this prevailed, that ICANN staff should be
  notified and perhaps help out in the responses to the questions, because the
  government might be asking questions that have a lot to do with the origins
  of the RAA. Why are you doing it this way? Why are you publishing all of this
  data? I think there was a sense that the staff should know and perhaps help
  respond, help the registrar or registry respond to the government.</font></p>
  else want to add anything? Is that accurate?</font></p>
  what I recall.</font></p>
definitely.
  I think I'm the one that actually ended up drafting that language and I think
  Kathy Kleiman stated it well. The intent was not to keep things from the
public,
  at all, or from the taskforces. It was just to respect the company while
these
  inquiries were going on, and until the findings could be made - until the
findings
  were complete, at which case then a report would be released and if there
were
  any confidential parts, then to the best of the ability of the company or the
  registrar or registry in ICANN, they could provide a summary without
disclosing
  all the details.</font></p>
investigation
  of the panix.com case; it's a very similar thing. I'm sure there were
confidential
  communications, initially, between ICANN and the two registrars that were
involved.
  In the end there's a public report that kind of summarizes all the
communications
  and the findings. But until that was completed, there was no real public
report,
  maybe a couple of questions that were sent out and posted, but the same type
  of thing. You don't want to post that someone is the subject of an inquiry,
  until the findings are complete, because it's embarrassing for a registry or
  registrar and it's not something that that company ever wants to
know.</font></p>
  a lot of times you get letters that are worded a lot stronger than the actual
  reality is. Then once there's an investigation and that's completed, it turns
  out that things are not exactly how they initially appear to the one
prosecutor
  or to the one side.</font></p>
  add that one of the motives in adding that, was that we thought ICANN would
  very much want to be informed and would want the opportunity, if it thought
  it could be appropriate, to aid the registrar in responding.</font></p>
agree
  that it's a very good idea that we get the reports. My concern is that if an
  investigation is started, but isn't completed for a significant period of
time,
  and during that period of time the registrar is in breech, how do we
reconcile
  those problems?</font></p>
that
  mean, the investigation is started and the registrar is in breech? Breech of
  national law or breech of RAA?</font></p>
  second scenario, relating to the confidentiality, I can find the step, but I
  don't recall it exactly, a national authority could require that the
registrar
  take a specific step to not disclose certain Whois information for example,
  and there's still a confidentiality requirement that's imposed on ICANN at
that
  point. So in that particular instance there could be a registrar that is not
  in compliance with the agreement, and yet a corresponding regulation by ICANN
  not to disclose that there's an investigation going on.</font></p>
step
  two, we do have that. I think the intent when I was drafting that, was more
  to keep the actual correspondence between the parties confidential, but to
provide
  some way of giving notice that something was going on. We'll take that back
  to the taskforce, but that could be just my drafting is unclear. But I
thought,
  and someone jump in if I'm wrong, the intent was not - if there was a certain
  action that was going to be taken, the intent was that ICANN should be able
  to disclose the action, but not necessarily the correspondence between the
parties.
  Does anyone recall anything different than what I explained?</font></p>
  anything different, Paul &#133;, didn't - I mean I'm sure we could come up
with
  a solution for you, if there's a registrar that's in breech and you can't
disclose
  there's an investigation, but still let ICANN call them on that
breech.</font></p>
  under the impression that the procedure we defined gave you a way to
basically
  make a confidential decision about where to de-accredit the
registrar.</font></p>
  take that back.</font></p>
didn't
  understand the last comment, could you say that again, Milton
Mueller?</font></p>
  that - the point, and maybe we didn't execute it properly here and that would
  be a good question of yours, if indeed this is the case. But the idea is that
  you know this is going on, the registrar may have to change your activities
  agency and then once that has occurred, you are in a position to make a
decision
  about accrediting or de-accrediting the registrar, according to the criteria
  set out in the procedure. So I'm not sure I understand what the problem is.
  investigation the local authority says you must change this, and that change
  puts them in breech at the RAA, then doesn't that trigger the procedure that
  we setup, which allows you to go through the board and find out whether
you're
  going to de-accredit the registrar or not?</font></p>
presume
  that that step would only occur as a final result of an investigation like
that.
  What if the investigation takes an interim step of making such a
requirement?</font></p>
may
  be an ambiguity in our procedure, but the intent of what we're doing was if
  indeed they do order them to make a change, then the intent was to then
trigger
  a process in which you can say, this is warranted or this is not.</font></p>
  can we put the question back to you, this is Kathy Kleiman, what are you
thinking?
  For this language there could be different things, one could be very narrow
  requirements by the government, you know the president's daughter has
registered
  a domain name; you will now pull off her personal information from the
database,
  immediately. Or, it could be a massive change; you will now pull off all
individual's
  personal information from the database. Does the scale of the requirement by
  the government, in the course of an ongoing investigation matter to you? How
  would you recommend proceeding?</font></p>
  this is one of my primary concerns with the procedure and it's rigidity,
because
  I think there are a series of different things that can happen under these
scenarios,
  upon which we're being given a procedure to follow, that tells us specific
things
  to do, not in response to that specific scenario. So I'm concerned that we
have
  a situation where an investigation is launched, there are actions taken,
there's
  a registrar that's clearly in breech of their agreement, but I'm prohibited
  from communicating to anyone, why. So I don't have an answer, but I'm
certainly
  willing to work with anyone on your side to help resolve it.</font></p>
  case, Paul, again speaking, I get the concern now, but I didn't get it until
  just now.</font></p>
think
  unless anybody has anything specific, I think that's one of our action items,
  to go back to &#133; secretary. Is somebody eating or crumpling paper or
something,
  if they could put it on mute that would be great? Okay, is everyone ready to
  go on to the second question?</font></p>
Steve
  Metalitz , I just wanted to let you know that I joined. Did we finish the
first
  question?</font></p>
have
  anything to add?</font></p>
No.</font></p>
  did a good job at summarizing their concerns, they added a few others and the
  recording will reflect those and I'm taking notes and Glen's taking notes. So
  you'll get those when those are done.</font></p>
  December 20th you wrote, might it be preferable to focus GNSO attention on
developing
  improvements to its policies that will allow for the broadest possible
harmony
  with local regulations? Can you elaborate on what you meant by that, and
perhaps
  suggest specific ways in which you believe the GNSO might accomplish
that?</font></p>
  Paul here.</font></p>
Paul.</font></p>
answering
  the question, I just want to make a remark here. We keep on referring to
ICANN,
  as if you are not ICANN. I would think that this is one - you know this is
one
  part of ICANN asking another part of ICANN something, rather than the
taskforce
  asking ICANN something, but this is maybe a linguistic issue. </font></p>
  What we had in mind is the following. Our understanding is that there is
quite
  a lot of knowledge among the members of the taskforce, as to what is going
with
  Whois policies, at a local level, and we were wondering whether it wouldn't
  be useful, if this is sort of brought together. </font></p>
registrars
  operate under Whois policies. There are ccTLDs who operate under Whois
policies
  and the nature of the question was such that we wondering whether it wouldn't
  be useful, presumably with the assistance of the staff, and we're happy to do
  so, to get some of this stuff together, to understand much better, what
actually
  the situation is out there, rather than having to make guesses as to what we
  think the situation is. Because if we have a better overview of Whois
requirements
  or actually actual Whois implementations, like the recent direction of DOC to
  .US presumably give some flavor of how Whois is treated or has to be treated
  in the U.S., and you may have seen some of the stuff in Australia and other
  places. </font></p>
  knowledge about this, whether that wouldn't help everybody to understand, as
  to what the actual thing is. On the basis of that, it would be possible for
  you to come up with the broadest possible policy, which would address the
majority
  of the situations. So that is what we basically had in mind. As I said,
there's
  a full offer from the staff side to assist in anything like that.</font></p>
  Paul. I'll start a queue and I'll put myself first. Does anyone else have any
  comments?</font></p>
  okay.</font></p>
Mueller.</font></p>
  Okay. From our perspective, we were given instructions, &#133; made the
taskforce,
  at the time I guess we were One and Two, we were given instructions by the
GNSO
  council, to try to deal with some of what they call the low hanging fruit.
  is definitely trying to do, in looking in the last few weeks or few months
and
  will continue for the foreseeable future, is looking at ways that we could
try
  to come up with a Whois policy that we believe would be in compliance with at
  least most of the laws that we know about, and we're still gathering
information.
  But that's a fairly long process and one especially with tiered access, one
  that's going to require a whole bunch of research and we're trying to move
forward
  on that, and we appreciate the offer for staff at this point, because I think
  we will certainly take you up on it.</font></p>
  try to come up with something, while that was pending. In other words,
because
  we knew it would take a certain amount of time to address what you talked
about,
  Paul, we wanted to come up with a procedure that registrars and registries
could
  follow along with ICANN, that if something had come up in the mean time,
until
  that policy is developed and also something after a policy is developed, if
  there were exceptions to that rule. </font></p>
  what you said, to try to address the other Whois policy, but from my
perspective
  and other people can jump in, I think it was kind of one of those low hanging
  fruit things that we thought could be relatively easily addressed by coming
  up with some sort of process. If Paul and Milton Mueller want to jump in, as
well. Paul?</font></p>
  a good idea that members of the taskforce know the local laws better, you
know
  there's a lot of knowledge here and we've got to bring that together. But I
  think we can be confused with policies and ccTLDs. What .US did is a policy
  of the .US registry, not law of the land in the United States and you can
confuse
  those two.</font></p>
respond
  to that, Paul, Paul here. My understanding is that there are certain
directions
  from the U.S. government to .US, which presumably have to do with the
implementation
  of the law, not necessarily with the precise details of how .US beyond the
implementation
  of the law, wants to handle the impact implementation. </font></p>
  that's the case.</font></p>
  is that a whole lot of CCs are having to comply with local, Whois
policies.</font></p>
may
  have a mistaken believe there.</font></p>
  in; I'm probably the best person to jump in on that.</font></p>
  a bad example.</font></p>
think
  Paul's point is a good one.</font></p>
which
  Paul?</font></p>
Verhoef.</font></p>
right.
  That's useful.</font></p>
Paul
  Verhoef is right. In that one way to help us figure out what the national
laws
  of the various countries are is to look at how the ccTLDs operate, and
putting
  .US aside. But if you look at, for example we had a presentation a couple of
  weeks ago from Denic. </font></p>
enlightening.
  Denic told us what they display in Whois, and that was contrary, at least to
  what I thought, the German law was. When they said that they had kind of had
  their implementation blessed, sort of, I guess, by the German government, as
  much as it can be, I think that shed some new light as to what is truly
required
  under German law, versus what some may believe is required under German law.
  So I think Paul Verhoef's point is that we can look to the behavior of some
  ccTLDs to the extent that it reflects national law. .US. is completely
different
  and it really reflects a contract and not law.</font></p>
  that.</font></p>
  a sensitive topic, especially for me, I'll go on to Milton Mueller.</font></p>
  just like to remind, everyone, I guess, that taskforce two did prepare, and
  I think Kathy Kleiman did most of the work here, a table, identifying the
relevant
  privacy laws, as best as possible. This has been distributed over the List
recently,
  or redistributed, I should say, and I would really recommend that you take a
  look at it.</font></p>
  on this question was I was kind of trying to sound you out, Paul, on whether
  by making this comment, you were suggesting that the taskforce move ahead
with
  the issue of tiered access as the ultimate solution to the problem that we're
  dealing with here.</font></p>
Mueller,
  we didn't have any particular things in mind. So that was certainly not the
  purpose of that remark.</font></p>
  this is Steve Metalitz Metallis, could I get in the queue?</font></p>
Metalitz.
  Paul, I just realized that I had made a point about what you were saying and
  I didn't give you a chance to respond, to make sure that I was supporting
your
  statement right. So Paul, did you want to respond to what I had said about
the
  way we're looking to ccTLDs?</font></p>
  you're right. From what I see quite a number of CCs have been in touch with
  their data privacy commissioners or their governments or whatever the
authority
  is in their countries, to make sure that they way they implement Whois
requirements
  is conformed to national law. </font></p>
  it is - there is presumably an area of freedom, where they can sort of do
what
  they think is right, and presumably there is an area where there is no
freedom,
  that the law basically says what has to happen. But whatever the situation
may
  be, my assumption would be that we could find out quite a bit from it. I'd be
  quite happy if the taskforce so desires, to ask the ccNSO to give us a hand
  with this, and see if they can round up some further details on this for
us.</font></p>
  Stahura talking again. I agree with that, that it's a good idea. I just
wanted
  to make sure that - from what I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong Jeff
  Neuman, but what .US. did was not to get the Whois in compliance with the
law,
  but to interpret a contract that the registry has with the
registrars.</font></p>
  Steve Metalitz, but I'll just say that it was to bring it in line with an
existing
  contract.</font></p>
easiest
  is to drop the .US example and go to another place. Like you said, the
presentation
  of Denic, my assumption is that Denic has gone out of its way to try to get
  its Whois database in compliance with the German data protection authority
requirements
  on it. Then my assumption is that the registrars in Germany, at least can
take
  pretty good guidance from that, as to what the requirements on the German law
  are.</font></p>
complete
  sense to me.</font></p>
got
  to get to Steve Metalitz, so we can get the call moving. I think Denic gave
  a good presentation and we'll go back and send around the main points of
that.
  But I think they kind of made it clear, it was interesting that they would
not
  be able - Denic would not be able to have on their public Whois, everything
  that is a gTLD. So they would not be able to have a Whois that the gTLDs
would
  be required to have. Steve Metalitz, do you want to &#133;?</font></p>
  just going to say, and if someone raised this before I apologize, but I just
  wanted to make it clear to Paul and John Jeffrey that the reason this
procedure
  was proposed was not because we were making an assumption that the existing
  policy is not in broad harmony with local regulations. There are probably
different
  views about that on the taskforce, but what is true is that concerns were
raised
  that some registrars might be put in this position, and what we were
attempting
  to do was to anticipate that problem and come up with a suggestive procedure
  that could be followed in that situation. But it didn't result from an
assumption
  that this was a widespread problem or even that it was occurring.</font></p>
  and did I hear Kathy Kleiman?</font></p>
Kleiman.</font></p>
  else after Tom Keller and Kathy Kleiman? Okay, then I want to try to move
forward
  on question three. So, Tom Keller.</font></p>
  the first thing we did in taskforce two was to kind of produce a spreadsheet
  where we asked all different kinds of people what kind of regulations they
have
  in their countries. So exactly what Paul is proposing right now, that we go
  out to the CCs and ask what kind of regulations they have, and what kind of
  breech they have with their government and so on; that is all stuff that
already
  happened in the past. </font></p>
with
  this process more or less, which describes how a registrar who isn't &#133;,
  can get an exception of it. Because an assumption we have is that however
good
  you build a system, you always might end up in a situation where you have a
  registrar, by new created laws or by new created regulations, which puts them
  into breech with the RAA and so there's a point where we have to deal with
it.</font></p>
  our lowest common denominator is, we will always have that problem, where we
  might have to deal with the person or registrar or registry not being able to
  comply with its contractual obligation, due to governmental influence or
whatever.
  So we've already done a lot of this research and we have a really extensive
  spreadsheet and I think that's worth, maybe looking at again. So we standard
  effort, and that's more or less the effect of the effort.</font></p>
Kleiman.</font></p>
  Mueller raised my name in connection with the spreadsheet, I want to raise
Tom
  Keller Keller's name and all of taskforce two, team one, because lots of
people
  spent a lot of time on it. There is a section that Tom Keller was just
talking
  about, I'll just mention it, it's Section 5.2 of the spreadsheet that does
talk
  about ccTLDs and shows things like - that certain countries, ccTLDs are being
  told to pull information off the Whois, or in some cases to create
specialized
  opt out provisions, and these include .AU, .UK, .FR, and .KR.</font></p>
that
  the ccNSO could help a lot. We did reach out to them at the time, and they
weren't
  responsive. I think that was because they were in the midst of their own
survey
  on this kind of information and have a policy. I'm not quite sure why, but we
  did ask them, but I'll bet they'll be more responsive to you.</font></p>
Kleiman
  we can test whether they're more responsive to me or to you. I don't think it
  makes a lot of difference at the moment. I think basically the ccNSO has only
  become operational in the last couple of months, so I can imagine that
beforehand
  they were just not ready for it yet. But if you wish, I can have a talk with
  Chris Disspain and see whether he can get something going on this. What may
  be useful, in my view, before I ask that, is that the taskforce actually
structures
  their requests to the ccNSO a bit, so that we give them some guidance as to
  what exactly is useful to know and in the form you want to know it, so that
  we get a reasonable answer to it.</font></p>
spreadsheet
  may help us do that very quickly.</font></p>
Okay.</font></p>
one
  point of clarification that I would like to make, it's in regard to Denic and
  I just want to say that Denic is not really blessed by the German government;
  it's just blessed by the &#133; commissioner of the state in which Denic
belongs
  to. For example, someone in Bavaria may have to act totally different
&#133;.</font></p>
you,
  Tom Keller. That was my understanding, thanks for clarifying that. Is there
  anybody else with questions on number two, I'd like to go to question three,
  recognizing that time &#133;. Again, I just want to emphasize that any
questions
  we don't have answered on this call, ICANN and John Jeffrey &#133; we can
have
  a conversation, John Jeffrey, Paul and others; we can have this conversation
  on e-mail. So not everything has to be on this call.</font></p>
  the subject of Whois a policy determination subject &#133; or do you view
this
  solely as a contractual matter between ICANN registrars and registries. In
other
  words, does the GNSO have the right to recommend policies regarding, a) what
  information is made available through Whois, b) who has access to such
information,
  c) how is such access obtained or d) what the process should be if a registry
  registrar believes that an existing policy or a new policy on it's face
violates
  and existing national law?</font></p>
  in context, because reading that out loud, I think I'll let John Jeffrey and
Paul answer
  this, but obviously they're going to say, &quot;Yes, you're allowed to
recommend
  whatever you want.&quot; I think the question is if there was a policy
determination
  that says, &quot;We think a, b and c should be in Whois, but d and e should
  not be. That's something that the ICANN would consider if the GNSO council
ended
  up recommending that. Is that something that is properly within the policy
prevue
  or is that something that ICANN views as purely contractual?</font></p>
Jeff
  Neuman, you're right. If this is the way - if this is what the GNSO sees as
  the policy on the Whois, then you're well in your right to propose that. It
  will, subsequently, obviously have to be reflected in the contracts. But that
  is then the result of it, that is actually the &#133;.</font></p>
elaborate,
  this is John Jeffrey. The contracts already have a placeholder for policy
that
  is developed in this area. It exists in all of the registry agreements and we
  certainly - the way we're negotiating the current top-level demand agreements
  that we're negotiating with the sponsored top level demands, we are holding
  the language as it currently exists, including the language that creates the
  placeholder for policies that might be adopted. We certainly recognize that
  the GNSO has a role in helping develop policy related to this area, and we're
  certainly interested in policies that might be adopted and how we can enforce
  them.</font></p>
  question about that?</font></p>
get
  a queue, Milton Mueller, hold on. Anybody else after Milton Mueller? Okay
Milton
  Mueller, it's all yours.</font></p>
say,
  John Jeffrey, that the GNSO has a role in helping to develop policy on this,
  I'm wondering who they are helping. I mean my understanding of ICANN is that
  the GNSO has primary responsibility for developing policy and that the board
  has basically a right of refusal or acceptance. But who else is it that we're
  helping here when we're developing policy?</font></p>
ICANN.</font></p>
  ICANN?</font></p>
  about ICANN, we're not talking about staff versus you; we're talking about
all
  of us. We're of the assumption that GNSO, it develops policy relating to
this,
  and anything that I said that might be contradictory to that, I'll be happy
  to take back.</font></p>
within
  generic, Whois, basically a gTLD issue and my understanding of the structure
  is that the GNSO makes policy or formulates policy. My concern, just so you,
  it's not like I'm trying to confront staff or setup any kind of dichoTom
Kellery
  here, it's just that I want to know if I'm wasting my time. We spend a lot of
  time on these taskforces and we want to know that it has some
utility.</font></p>
was
  pretty clear. We are certainly interested in the implementing the policies
that
  the GNSO brings to ICANN. There's a position in the contract that we continue
  to reserve for that specific instance. So I hope I haven't said anything to
  offend you. We certainly appreciate from the staff level what you do. I think
  without that, there wouldn't be policies set in these important
areas.</font></p>
you.</font></p>
  Jeffrey, thank you Milton Mueller. Anybody else with a question? Okay that
was
  a quick one; we can go to question four. If an entity would like to become a
  registry or registrar, but is based in a jurisdiction that may not allow it
  to collect or display who &#133;, is it ICANNs position that such and entity
  would not be eligible to participate as an ICANN accredited registry or
registrar?
  I think this also gets at the first part of the e-mail, which says that the
  registries and registrars should not enter into contracts that would be
illegal
  from their point to perform. So John Jeffrey or Paul, do you want to address
  this?</font></p>
could say
  anything else. Certainly we would not encourage registrars or registries to
  enter into agreements when it's not legal for them to perform. I'm not clear
  whether that's the full answer that you're looking for, but that's certainly
  the answer that I would propose.</font></p>
  that's kind of what the taskforce expected. Kathy Kleiman, do you have a
question?</font></p>
  Kleiman, let me just get a queue first. Kathy Kleiman, anybody else? Okay,
Kathy
  Kleiman.</font></p>
  almost half of the registrars accredited by ICANN, operate in countries with
  comprehensive data protection laws. Are you kind of saying that they really
  shouldn't be - that if their country's or if the regions, say the EU, raises
  real questions about the Whois policy, which they have, that they really
shouldn't
  be accredited registries and registrars?</font></p>
  making a number of assumptions that weren't present in my
statement.</font></p>
  help me out?</font></p>
  hear to give advice to registrars or registries about whether or not to enter
  into a registrar accreditation agreement or a registry agreement. But
certainly
  where they believe that there's a conflict between laws and the contract,
then
  that's an important issue. I think that if it's clear to you that those
things
  are in conflict then we would certainly ask for the taskforce's advice on how
  to approach those scenarios.</font></p>
  fair to say that this is not a sort of end-all situation. I mean if this were
  to occur, then obviously there would be a review of it, and there may be a
policy
  process and there may be adjustments of the accreditation agreements, is for
  example, one option.</font></p>
Jeffrey
  said, one of your presumptions seems to say, in a rather determined fashion
  that because of EU data protection law, it is mutually exclusive with Whois
  requirements or a collection and display of Whois information. I don't think
  that that's the case at all. There may be certain requirements there, but I
  don't think that EU data protection law would actually forbid Whois, not at
  all. So I think we shouldn't jump to too easy conclusions on this.</font></p>
enough.</font></p>
  other comments? If I can, I'm going to skip a question and come back it,
because
  I think that question is really meant kind of a springboard. It's one thing
  to say, as you do, that registries and registrars shouldn't enter into
contracts
  that they believe would be illegal for them to perform. </font></p>
  let's say they are a registry or registrar, they signed an accreditation
agreement.
  So the question is while we understand that it's ICANNs position that may
should
  not enter into a contract that it believes violates its national laws, well
  what happens if there's a change in national law that makes the collection
and/or
  display of Whois illegal, after the registrar is already accredited.
what
  is the purpose, from a contractual point of view, to deal with such &#133;,
  and that's kind of a matter of educating the taskforce. If it's the position
  that the registrar could no longer be accredited, then what's the policy in
  dealing with the registrars existing cusTom Kellerers? Or what happens in the
opposite
  situation, for example, what if there's a change in ICANNs policy that in
essence
  changes the contract midstream and the changes pose a conflict with national
  laws? John Jeffrey or Paul?</font></p>
starting
  point ICANNs registrar accreditation agreement already provides that a
registrar
  shall abide by applicable laws and government regulations. So under RAA
Section
  3.7.2, all though that provision doesn't exist in many of the registry
agreements,
  there is discussion about adding that into some of the registry agreements
going
  forward, where there are specific issues that have been raised.</font></p>
were
  to make it illegal to perform some of the obligations in the agreement, then
  we believe that the registrar would of course have to comply with that law.
  There are a number of steps that ICANN could take relating to that. I think
  some of these questions go to the very answers that you're trying to supply.
  So I guess is the question from a perspective of what we would do currently
  or is it asking us to re-review the procedure?</font></p>
  start with the first, has this ever happened, without going into any detail
  or if not, what do you envision the current process would be?</font></p>
  of one circumstance where we've been notified that an action taken in a local
  law perspective impacts this specific provision as it relates to the RAA, and
  we're not clear about the interpretation of what has been called into
question.
  So this isn't an issue that we're facing every day, and in fact it's been a
  very rare circumstance to this point, although we could certainly anticipate
  that these issues will arise in the future, which is, I think, why you're
setting
  out your procedure or the broader procedures. </font></p>
  and we certainly have to look at the individual scenario to understand how we
  would treat it. It's a difficult hypothetical situation, as I'm sure you
appreciate
  after having worked so hard on this procedure.</font></p>
  this is Steve Metalitz Metallis, can I get in queue?</font></p>
  and then who else after Steve Metalitz?</font></p>
  after Paul? Okay, Steve Metalitz.</font></p>
  follow up on your answer, John Jeffrey. I think what you're saying is that
there
  isn't a set procedure that would be followed at this point. It would be
handled,
  as you say it's very fact dependent, it's only arisen once that you know of.
  So there isn't a set procedure and suppose one question is whether it would
  be beneficial to have a procedure in place, when it arises or is that just
too
  hypothetical a situation? But I guess the answer is right now there isn't a
  set procedure that we would follow. Correct?</font></p>
wouldn't
  say that. We certainly deal with compliance issues across a variety of
agreements.
  So where we have a registrar that's in breech, we have a procedure in place
  on how to deal with that breech. But it is fact dependent and it is
circumstance
  dependent. I don't believe you were on at the beginning, but one of the
points
  that I was making about the procedure is that we have concerns about whether
  the procedure is a very strict procedure to adhere to. It includes a lot of
  language like, shall, or is it a recommendation about the best way to
approach
  a situation when it arises.</font></p>
  the queue, it's Marilyn Cade?</font></p>
  Cade. It's going to be Paul next, and then you, Marilyn Cade.</font></p>
  if John Jeffrey was done with his answer.</font></p>
  John Jeffrey finish.</font></p>
  primarily done with the answer. Did that answer your question, Steve
Metalitz?</font></p>
  think you raise a very good point, and I apologize again that I wasn't on the
  call earlier. I think you had some back and forth, as I recall, on the
language
  about shall or should and this type of thing, and perhaps that has created an
  impression about the rigidity of this procedure that perhaps we should
&#133;.</font></p>
  question?</font></p>
point,
  quickly, this is John Jeffrey again. That was the concern that we expressed.
  We are concerned that too rigid a process does not allow staff or the board
  to appropriately respond to an individual situation and that it's very
difficult
  to project all possible hypothetical situations in an evolving
landscape.</font></p>
  agree with that, but on the other hand, the other side of that coin is, is
there
  some value in having some expectation in place, so that if a registrar
encounters
  this, they kind of know what they should do and know what to expect. That's
  just the other side of that coin.</font></p>
  on to Paul and Marilyn Cade and then there was someone else I thought that
&#133;.</font></p>
Milton
  Mueller.</font></p>
  okay. So let me go to Paul, first.</font></p>
  it's just such low hanging fruits, to almost being non-existent right now,
but
  to come up with a policy, so that in case it does happen, we have some kind
  of procedure in place.</font></p>
  might have missed the question, you were cutting out a little bit or our
phone
  was.</font></p>
might
  have lost Paul. Why don't we go, I hope that Paul will rejoin, we'll go to
Marilyn
  Cade and then Milton Mueller and then check back and see if Paul is here.
Marilyn
  Cade?</font></p>
  will offer my apologizes for not being able to be on the entirety of the
call,
  but I will review the transcript and I thank Glen for arranging that. I guess
  I wanted to kind of just ask - I think maybe it's just an elaboration of what
  - is Paul back?</font></p>
  can I finish my question?</font></p>
Sure.</font></p>
  cutoff, I'm on a cell phone. Basically I see that it's really low hanging
fruit,
  but it seems like we should come up with a policy now, in case this happens
  in the future. It seems like we're getting the indication from ICANN that
that
  would be worthwhile to come up with a policy, but that it shouldn't be -
since
  it might not ever happen and the circumstances around it happening are going
  to be unique from case to case, that we shouldn't make a policy that's really
  constraining and kind of leaks out into other areas of ICANN. Do I get that
  right?</font></p>
would
  be useful for a recommendation to be made, whether it's a policy, I think, is
  a question that I'll leave to the policy team to discuss.</font></p>
policy
  might be even more restrictive then just a recommendation?</font></p>
  question, I think it's very related, Paul?</font></p>
Paul
  Varhoof want to respond to that?</font></p>
  just thinking about it. Let Marilyn Cade put her question in and then we'll
  see where we get.</font></p>
  Cade.</font></p>
  sort of refresh my memory about why we did this, and remind myself that we
were
  trying to be helpful. But I think there was a lot of discussion at the time,
  about we didn't have evidence of an existing problem. Maybe what we are
struggling
  with is, maybe we think the only tool we have is a hammer and this particular
  problem is a nail. Maybe it's not a nail, maybe it's not a policy, maybe it's
  something that is in the form of a recommendation or advice to the board and
  staff or something of that nature, which isn't actually policy, but provides
  guidance or a framework of how people are expected to deal with such a
problem.
  it is very difficult to devise a policy that is high level enough to allow
the
  flexibility that would be needed. Maybe thinking about what other vehicles
exist
  that the policy entity can provide guidance on would be helpful, but it
doesn't
  become an actual consensus policy at this time.</font></p>
  like if it's not a policy, then the contracts won't change.</font></p>
  Paul has got a point in that it depends what the goal of the taskforce is,
but
  Paul Sigura has got a point that if it's just advisory, then it's not, and
this
  may be okay, but then it's not necessarily binding on actual purposes. Again,
  the taskforce has to decide what its main intent was. Milton Mueller, I
believe,
  was next on the list.</font></p>
  so I'm getting a clearer picture of what John Jeffrey's concerns are now. One
  of the interesting things that you said, John Jeffrey, was that you have a
procedure
  in place now for sort of monitoring and enforcing compliance with the RAA. I
  would like to know, first, whether this procedure is published and if we can
  have access to it, because you said that it is a procedure, but you also
emphasized
  that it is fact dependent. </font></p>
application
  of law is fact dependent, but judges have to be guided by some kind of rules
  or principles and indeed that's what the laws are supposed to be. So I would
  say that fact dependency is not so much the obstacle here. Our goal is to -
  you know, what is the criterion that guides your decisions and your
applications?
  What is it that the facts depend on or what is it that your decisions depend
  on? The facts might vary; I guess is really the question that we're talking
  about here.</font></p>
believe
  you're aware from the strategic plan, there is a plan to develop an entire
compliance
  program. We don't have that in place and we don't have the staffing available
  to fully manage that at this particular point. What we do currently is when
  we receive notice of a breech of a contract or a concern regarding the breech
  of a contract, we investigate that breech and we determine whether it's
material
  and whether it requires further action. </font></p>
often
  a private letter that indicates what the breech is, seeking compliance with
  the agreement. There have been to my knowledge, no instances where we've been
  required to litigate. So I hope that's fairly responsive to your question and
  if there's any additional clarity I can provide, I'm happy to do
so.</font></p>
  that that's pretty much what I figured is the situation. If the contract is
  indeed something that is fixed, then we would obviously need to give the
staff
  the ability to flexibly determine whether the facts make a particular
registrar
  in compliance or in breech. But I think the question is whether we can give
  you, as GNSO, whether we can give you policy guidance as to how that might be
  applied in cases of national variation. </font></p>
  contract, to take up Marilyn Cade's point, not that I wouldn't like to see
the contract
  changed on this particular issue, but if indeed the GNSO created some kind of
  policy guidance that would in effect help you to evaluate facts, in a way
that
  was compliant with the policy wishes of the constituencies, would that be
useful?</font></p>
perspective
  it would be useful and well-received by staff.</font></p>
finished.</font></p>
Milton
  Mueller and thanks John Jeffrey, that does help. That gives us a direction to
  move in. I think that also kind of answers, if you go back to question five,
  has ICANN received any increase in national governments regarding the
collections.
  Although I think you said that you received it, the question not from the
national
  government, but from &#133;.</font></p>
  a different question.</font></p>
don't
  we go back to that question five. Has ICANN received any inquiries from any
  national governments regarding the collection or display of Whois information
  as it relates to privacy protection? If so, what are the steps ICANN has
taken
  to resolve these issues. </font></p>
we've
  received a number of questions from governments. The questions are typically
  informal, although we recently received a letter from a specific U.S. FTC
(Federal
  Trade Commission) commissioner. Not from the FTC itself, but from a specific
  commissioner asking some questions. We've also received some notice from a
house
  committee, a U.S. House of Representatives committee, seeking information and
  cooperation from us, in helping determine the harm to the U.S. economy,
caused
  by patently false Whois information.</font></p>
  seen recently, and I would imagine that there are a number of other informal
  questions or inquiries that are made on a regular basis regarding this. I'm
  certain we've heard from different law enforcement authorities with questions
  about how the Whois taskforces are working and whether a policy would be set
  in the absence of the Whois taskforces and how those things might be changed
  or adapted within agreements. We've referred those bodies to the taskforces,
  telling them that the appropriate place to participate in that policy
development
  would be with you guys.</font></p>
Tim.</font></p>
Ruiz?</font></p>
  is there anybody after Tim? Okay, Tim.</font></p>
  just curious to clarify, especially in regards to the inquiries you received
  from the U.S. government, or it's agencies, where they really - it doesn't
sound
  like they were inquiries regarding privacy protection, but more about
accuracy
  issues or access issues, is that fair?</font></p>
correct,
  those are the recent inquiries that we've received.</font></p>
received,
  maybe not recently, but have you received anything from any privacy
commissioners
  or data protection officers, on the other side of the coin, concerned about
  privacy?</font></p>
  since I've been at ICANN, but I can't speak for the period before
that.</font></p>
closest
  thing I can think of, I think it was in Italy, and maybe Kathy Kleiman you
can
  help. Who is the speaker from the Italian privacy?</font></p>
official
  title?</font></p>
data
  protection commissioner for Italy, I think.</font></p>
  two, right under the senior data protection commissioner, I think.</font></p>
during
  the - it seemed like what he said during the presentation was that there
&#133;.</font></p>
  concerned, he came to the ICANN meeting, it was a very late scheduled session
  and he seemed very concerned over the gTLD Whois policies, the conflict that
  they had with the Italian data protection laws, and kind of issued some
implicit
  threats against not only registrars based in Italy, but registrars reaching
  in and seeking the business, the registration of Italian citizens.</font></p>
joint
  registrar, a non-commercial constituency session with George Papapovlo.
Milton Mueller,
  maybe you remember more directly what he said. It wasn't as powerful as
Bartorelli,
  but he also raised a number of very clear and expressed concerns and we'd be
  happy to kind of provide the materials that we still have from those
meetings,
  to you.</font></p>
point
  is that nobody, at least what ICANN is saying, nobody has brought that
&#133;.
  It's one thing to make a presentation, it's another thing to actually file
something
  or formally or even informally complain. But what John Jeffrey is saying
&#133;.</font></p>
  no follow-up to those comments that I'm aware of.</font></p>
  can you tell us what day &#133; month he came in. I'm not sure whether this
  was before or after.</font></p>
  You were there for Rome, right, John Jeffrey?</font></p>
in,
  in September of 2003. I was at the Rome meeting and I'm roughly aware of the
  comments that you're referring to. But we've received no follow-up inquiries
  or official correspondence or inquiry regarding that; that I'm aware
of.</font></p>
  the EU paper to the GAP dated May 12, 2003?</font></p>
  say that I do not recall every document that's sent to any advisory committee
  or supporting organization. So I'm not intimately familiar with that
document.</font></p>
you're
  talking about - these would be documents sent directly to the board, the
chair
  or the general council?</font></p>
Okay.</font></p>
  paper sent from, to the GAC?</font></p>
  to it, I don't remember.</font></p>
  kind of an issue here, regarding official communications. I mean I would
imagine
  that when Giovanni Bartorelli, or George Papapavlou gave presentations at
ICANN
  meetings, they assumed pretty much that they wee doing the same thing that,
  let's say that the U.S. congress or the U.S. FTC commissioner would be doing,
  in the sense of signaling to ICANN their position on Whois policy. The idea
  that these comments don't count because they didn't formally send a message
  to the staff, I think - I mean I could understand why a staff person would
need
  to be officially informed in that way, from their point of view. But on the
  other hand, nowhere is it written down or no where is it clear that that's
the
  way these things have to happen.</font></p>
  let me jump in there, the question we asked them was has ICANN received any
  &#133; from any national governments. So while you're right, that we should,
  we the taskforce take into consideration anything that was submitted formally
  or informally to us. I think the question that we addressed was,
&#133;.</font></p>
just
  making an interesting observation that obviously the staff is answering that
  question correctly and that we are looking at it in a very different light,
  because of the fact that the information is just going to different places.
  I think that's something that we need to be very cognizant of.</font></p>
  can I get in the queue?</font></p>
Cade
  and anybody else after Marilyn Cade?</font></p>
Metalitz and Kathy Kleiman. Okay,
  Marilyn Cade.</font></p>
  that we should convey that the taskforce is of one mind on the last point
made,
  because I don't think we are. As the co-chair of the previous taskforce, we
  received a number of communications, some of which were formal, some of which
  ere informal and we made efforts to explain to people, who for instance,
spoke
  at our workshops, that they were helping to educate the community, but that
  this was not the same things as a formal contribution to an open public
policy
  process.</font></p>
suggesting
  that because someone makes a comment, that that counts as a formal
contribution
  or document and I had in my past, and still continue to work with government
  folks all around the world. I find them very savvy about who to contact,
whenever
  they want to make a complaint. So I'd prefer that we stick to the specific
purpose
  of this call. On the other hand, the taskforce may decide that it is
important
  to seek more information, in a different way, about what positions exist and
  where they exist. But that would be a separate work item for the
taskforce.</font></p>
Marilyn
  Cade. Just to be clear, when you say, you didn't &#133; taskforces of the
mindset,
  on the last point, the last point you were referring to, as to whether to
accept
  both formal and informal additions. Just for the recording.</font></p>
right.</font></p>
and then Kathy Kleiman.</font></p>
  wanted to agree with the last comment. I mean people say a lot of things at
  ICANN meetings or at meeting that take place at the same time and place as
ICANN
  meetings, even though they're not ICANN events, which I think is the case for
  at least one that was referred to. But I think if a government wants to
formally
  raise a concern about this, they know how to do it, and I think that was the
  thrust of the question.</font></p>
Kleiman.</font></p>
  that the governments know how to reach important people, but they may not
need
  to know that they need to repeat their message. So if I could share that
there
  is a body of literature that has been generated on this Whois by governments
  and governmental participants, from the Article 29 working group opinion on
  Whois. The International Working Group for Data Protection and
Telecommunications
  sent a letter to Stewart Lyne, the reason I know all this is it's kind of the
  spreadsheets, I'm taking &#133; today. </font></p>
something
  formal and in writing and these organizations may not need - you know for
them
  this has been an ongoing process and they've put in their thoughts, early on.
  We may need to reach out to them, and I look for some staff direction on
this,
  if you need to hear from them again, kind of from a certain date forward,
then
  who would be responsible for contacting them, I mean how should we do that?
  But they do have material on the record that was submitted to ICANN,
officially
  through some channel, but it may be too long ago to be part of kind of the
current
  record. So the question is what do we do about that? What do you
recommend?</font></p>
  an inquiry like that, we would likely send them to you, because staff
wouldn't
  be setting policy on this, although we would certainly try to be responsive
  to any inquiry. We would send them to you and direct them to you, as the
appropriate
  body to help set the policy related to this area. So I'm not clear on,
although
  I'm certainly interested in any information that you'd send us and we'll
certainly
  look at it and see if there's anything that we should take action on, as
staff,
  I think the policy setting is intended to exist within the GNSO, and we would
  certainly send those types of inquiries to you.</font></p>
then
  forward us the FTC and the congressional inquiries?</font></p>
  can do that immediately.</font></p>
Thanks.</font></p>
  the other thing is with the remarks and comments, concerns and other things
  of the governments here, I think we need to distinguish a bit, and we cannot
  just put it all in one big heap. I mean obviously there are data protection
  commissioners and their agencies who are and have dived into this over a
while,
  and they're still trying to learn what this is all about. That is one thing.
  see that they issue some general warnings often, the kind, well though shall
  comply with the requirements and make sure that it happens, and we are not
sure
  that you are. But that doesn't necessarily mean that we're not.</font></p>
  the ones who are actually explicit in saying, well what you're doing is wrong
  and against the law. I think what John Jeffrey has been saying is in the
first two categories
  we have heard all these things, in the latter category we have yet to hear
anybody
  who tells us that what we're doing is actually illegal. So obviously we need
  to be attentive to the remarks which are made and we need to make sure that
  the data protection commissioners around the world understand what is going
  on and what we're doing and why we're doing this and help us in devising ways
  forward. I don't think we've yet confronted the situation where somebody is
  actually saying, this is plain unacceptable under the law. </font></p>
this
  in a fairly nuanced way and as some have said, Marilyn Cade in particular, if
they
  think that we're doing something which is not acceptable to them, they'll for
  sure know how to find us. It's not that ICANN is a sort of club that is in
the
  anonymous sphere any longer that they wouldn't know where to reach out to
us.</font></p>
  queue?</font></p>
Keller
  and then who else after Tom Keller? Okay, Tom Keller.</font></p>
  want to mention &#133;, I guess most of the governments, once you do have an
  issue, probably first of all don't really know where to go, so the most
probable
  point of contact they have, is the registrar, who isn't &#133; the problem
with.
  So they probably wouldn't even go to ICANN, but they would go to the
registrar,
  and the registrar might be able to bring the government to ICANN. So it's
probably
  that way that would be &#133;.</font></p>
Keller,
  I fully accept that, and that would be fine and we'd be happy, I guess, to
answer
  any question they'd have and/or as John Jeffrey said, to point them to the
taskforces,
  if they want to understand some sort of policy development is going on and
what
  needs to be taken into consideration there.</font></p>
  else in the queue on this question? Okay, I think that covers all the
questions
  that we had submitted. There was initially a question, but it was retracted,
  it was on competition, on the comment that we're worried about setting
different
  registrars on a kind of level playing field. I don't know if anybody -
there's
  been kind of a lively discussion the last few days on the Whois taskforce
list,
  which is actually a public list. But I was wondering if anybody wanted to ask
  a question on that topic or whether we can kind of table that, some people
had
  &#133;.</font></p>
  a comment and perhaps a question of clarification for Paul Varhoof.</font></p>
Mueller.</font></p>
  problems I had with the original letter was that you sort of expressed the
idea
  that making these exceptions in the contract, might indeed be inimical to the
  level playing field competition goals, which we know ICANN has and which we
  generally support. But it seemed to me again that you were sort of straying
  into the area of dictating policy rather than letting the GNSO determine the
  balance between a level playing field for competitors and a privacy
protection
  or compliance with national law and that that was, again, something that I at
  least, viewed as very sensitive. As not so much because of your actions in
this
  particular instance, but because of the full scope of ICANNs history, in
which
  there have been numerous incidents in which we are told go in there and make
  consensus policies and beat your brains out against the wall to do that, and
  then the staff intervenes at the last minute and says, &quot;Well we don't
really
  like this policy.&quot;</font></p>
  doing that, but I'm saying when you edge up against that, anything close to
  that, it sets off alarms, in my mind. When you make pronouncements that this
  might lead to some kind of competition policy gaming, certainly, that's
something
  that we in the GNSO and particularly, the registrars are very concerned
about,
  so you can trust us to give that due consideration. But the policy balance is
  going to be struck here, is it not?</font></p>
Jeffrey,
  if you want to address that.</font></p>
Jeff
  Neuman, I just dropped off the call, so I have only heard Milton Mueller's
last
  four or five words.</font></p>
say
  yes, and get it over with.</font></p>
Mueller.</font></p>
  the question was.</font></p>
  say, I'll go for your advice, Jeff Neuman, should I repeat the
question?</font></p>
briefly.</font></p>
question
  was that you had expressed concerns about the procedure that we had defined,
  sort of contradicting the goal of a level playing field for competition. My
  question was isn't the proper balance between a level playing field and the
  Whois policy as used to be struck within the GNSO, isn't that a policy issue
  to be formulated in the GNSO, by the constituencies, and not by the
staff?</font></p>
  right, but that doesn't mean that we cannot ask the question, whether you
have
  taken this into account and how you have taken it into account. Is
it?</font></p>
  it's acceptable to ask that question, certainly especially in the early
stages
  of the process. But as I indicated in my longer question, there's a
historical
  sensitivity to this issue, because of some interventions in the past; not by
  you, but by other staff members, in which it seemed to me that policy
formulation
  processes at the botTom Keller/up level had been circumvented or
short-circuited
  by staff interventions. So if you're just &#133;.</font></p>
  history for what it was. We are currently with the current staff
complemented,
  and I guess we're going to work with that. I can give you my promise that
we're
  going to pay full attention to this and act as early as possible.</font></p>
you.</font></p>
broader
  question, not one to be answered now is, if there is a policy that comes out
  from the GNSO, &#133; considered the competition &#133;, if for example
there's
  a policy that says that registrars should &#133; hypothetical, but I guess if
  the policy was something as strange as, if registrars can show different
data,
  depending on where they are in the world, I guess at some point we want to
know
  if there are concerns like competition concerns, during the process and not
  so late as it was in this particular instance.</font></p>
  that Maria Farrell is now in here and is going to be, hopefully, providing
some
  guidance, Barbara, as well, to the ICANN staff, so that we can have input
while
  we're creating the statements and not just after we've already &#133;
comments.</font></p>
what
  can I say, I think there are five staff members on the call at the moment,
you
  see that we're giving you our full attention.</font></p>
  it. That ends the questions that we had prepared. Is there anybody else that
  wants to ask a question or hasn't been &#133;?</font></p>
  the ICANN staff; I'd like to thank John Jeffrey and Paul and Barbara and
Maria Farrell and Dan,
  and just anyone from ICANN. Thank you for attending. I think the taskforce
still
  has a couple of things to discuss. You're welcome to stay on if you'd like to
  listen or you're welcome to drop off, it's up to you.</font></p>
  much.</font></p>
you.</font></p>
every
  one.</font></p>
minute
  for some beeps. I guess &#133; leave. Okay.</font></p>
  is on our agenda?</font></p>
  we were supposed to do, what we're trying to setup for next week, is calls
with
  - to have the &#133;, yes, that's their official name, &#133; to come on and
  talk a little bit about their &#133; and also to have the Australian Domain
  Authority come in and talk, as well. Kind of similar presentations as DeNIC
  and Tiered Access Providers gave a couple of weeks ago. So that's for next
week.</font></p>
come
  up with - I don't know if Jordan is on the call, he may have had to drop off.
  But we were supposed to try to get an update, as to Taskforce Three, where
they
  left off, so that we can try to figure out how to move forward. I'm not sure
  if Bruce or others, Bruce Tonkin are you on? No, okay. &#133; I dont think
you're
  on.</font></p>
  I guess not. Bruce sent an e-mail and I think there were some follow-up
e-mails
  that kind of tried to recover the work that had been done. Is that what you
  were referencing, Jeff Neuman?</font></p>
  was before the last call and then on the last call, Bruce was supposed, I
think,
  compile some of the other information that was referenced and then send it
out
  to the group.</font></p>
we'll
  have to do is put that on the agenda for next week. At this point we haven't
  confirmed, Jordan hasn't confirmed the . au or the SSAC, so we're going to
try
  to do that this week. But next week the main items are going to be prepare
for
  the - to do those two things and prepare for the Argentina meeting. I don't
  know if we're officially yet on the schedule, Marilyn Cade maybe you can
help,
  has the GNSO decided, the council decided what time is going to be reserved
  on Sunday, for which activities?</font></p>
saw,
  and I think Glen is on, the last I saw the only time that seemed to be
available
  for the Whois taskforce and the council, was in the middle of the day,
because
  we have a council working session, on the strategic plan later in the day on
  Sunday. That was the last that I saw that. But I haven't seen a firm, I don't
  know if I'd call it, a firm draft schedule.</font></p>
  has been put up, Marilyn Cade.</font></p>
  what I thought.</font></p>
  got to firm up, Glen, a &#133;.</font></p>
o'clock.</font></p>
  the middle for lunch.</font></p>
  what we will probably need to do is either take a break and people grab lunch
  and come in or work around that, which I think we'll have to do.</font></p>
figure
  that out. I know everyone in here is going to be disappointed that they will
  not be able to go to the orientation luncheon. If any of you are first time
  ICANN participants, sorry, but you'll have to invite your own staff member or
  board member out to lunch for a separate &#133;.</font></p>
  were also going to try to get some conference bridge.</font></p>
transcribed
  too, Jeff Neuman?</font></p>
  that again.</font></p>
  we paying for all the transcriptions?</font></p>
  doing that for us, Marilyn Cade.</font></p>
  about the conference line, teleconference, people who can't come to
Argentina?</font></p>
setup
  a bridge for that, Jeff Neuman?</font></p>
that.</font></p>
that
  are on the taskforce, if you can send around a note to Glen, not necessarily
  on the full list, if you are planning on being there on that Sunday. It would
  be good - or if you're planning to by bridge or by phone, that would be
great.</font></p>
Neuman,
  that would be very useful.</font></p>
  to the full list, because it will basically be on the public site. So those
  are the housekeeping things and we'll hopefully have all this ironed out by
  next week, because the week after, we'll already be leaving, I
think.</font></p>
  I had one more item that I wanted to raise, before we adjourn.</font></p>
good.</font></p>
  time?</font></p>
sure.</font></p>
  what was the status of the taskforce report on recommendation one. I made a
  posting on this last week, and we're now at a point where we don't have the
  opportunity to get this acted on in Bar Del Plata, but I think we should
still
  push forward on it.</font></p>
that's
  a good point; we need to get back to that. We need to put out the options of
  what we can do. That still needs to go out, but we had kind of a different
constituency,
  like there was a split, and I'm not talking about voting wise, but just from
  different members.</font></p>
understand
  what you just said, because I thought that we had agreed that what Maria
Farrell
  was developing would fit the criteria that's in the PDP for the final
taskforce
  report on this topic.</font></p>
  about the issue of &#133;.</font></p>
and
  consent from registrars, and it would include, obviously, the minority views.
  I mean I think it could be easily done, simply by packaging together, the
submissions
  that were made from the different constituencies, that's most of the report
  right there.</font></p>
  taskforce, technically, still has to vote on it. But we can't vote until we
  see the final - &#133;.</font></p>
  a final report. If you look at Section 7E of the policy development process,
  that's the point we're at. It's ready to go out for public comment, and what
  we need to do is have that package put together so it can go out for public
  comment. It's now been several weeks we ordered that up and I just wondered
  where it stood.</font></p>
  move forward with that. So Maria Farrell, are you on the call
still?</font></p>
still
  on. </font></p>
  forward or do we need to - we probably need to talk to you about that
offline?</font></p>
actually
  going to butt in, just before Steve Metalitz came on, just to give a quick
update
  on where we are. I have been revising the paper that Glen had circulated last
  week, and it's going to be something more in line with a final taskforce
report.
  However I'm still talking to Bruce and we'll be talking to you guys offline
  about exactly how many of the issues outstanding are going to be in that
report.
  Whether they're all going to be in one big bumper, kind of omnibus report, or
  whether we're going to section them off and do them separately. </font></p>
  a revised version of the report, based on the comments that we got from
people
  last week. That is going to be going out on Thursday. I don't want to exhaust
  people's patience, but the comments were very gratefully received and if
people
  could take another look at it, as it's developing and we'll also be able to
  give a much more firm answer on the exact status of the different taskforces
  and what stage their taskforce reports are at, in the PDP, over the next day
  or so. Apologies, we don't have a proper answer on that, but I haven't been
  able to talk to Bruce about that one yet.</font></p>
it's
  Marilyn Cade, Maria Farrell. You're talking to Bruce about it; I'm not
exactly
  clear in what role you're talking to Bruce about it.</font></p>
  confusing my taskforce chairs, I've been talking to Jack about it.</font></p>
sorry.</font></p>
Maria
  Farrell for that report, I appreciate it.</font></p>
  have an update.</font></p>
something
  Thursday.</font></p>
  questions or comments? Alright, we're going to send around, and Glen, you
have
  the transcription, how long until that becomes available?</font></p>
transcription
  usually takes about three days to arrive.</font></p>
  post that, I think we also need to &#133;.</font></p>
when
  it gets cleaned up.</font></p>
people
  have had a chance to digest it, the transcription will go around and then
summary
  notes and action items as to what need to do with this second report. I think
  this is curable, as far as what we have in the conflicts. I think there's a
  couple of simple things that we can do, as far as changing the shall's to may
  recommendations. I think there are some other things that we can clarify, the
  scope and some other action items that we got from the staff. But I think
this
  is still worth pursuing, obviously, so that we can get it to a stage where we
  can get a report out for public comment.</font></p>
Jeff
  Neuman, this last set of comments you're making, you're referencing the work
  that we were talking about, in the early part of our call, is that
right?</font></p>
  we spent an hour and half on.</font></p>
Recommendation
  two.</font></p>
  put that on the agenda for next week, especially if we aren't able to setup
  SSAC and .AU, maybe we could talk next week about what our next steps
are.</font></p>
  should put that on the agenda.</font></p>
Great.</font></p>
appreciate
  everyone for hanging for almost two hours. I know these calls are getting
long
  and everyone is volunteering, so I appreciate it. Thank you everyone for
being
  on the call.</font></p>