ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

[gnso-dow123] Short comments on report draft

  • To: <maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-dow123] Short comments on report draft
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <Mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:42:36 -0500

Maria, et al

A very good start. It is good for this group to reminded of how long
and circuitous our progress has been. You have done a great job of
collecting the relevant documents and creating a record.

I would propose two fairly simple modifications.

First, in the opening paragraph, please delete the sentence: "WHOIS is
an essential part of ICANN's mission to promote security and stability
on the Internet." That would be a policy conclusoin - and one on which
there is obviously no consensus, either in this TF or in the  Internet
community as a whole. In fact although ICANN's mission statement is
referenced, one can easily see that there is no mention of WHOIS,
registrant data, access to that data, or the accuracy of that data in
the mission statement.

Second, in the paragraph on "Previous ICANN work on WHOIS" it would be
helpful to add a sentence to the effect that the first whois task force
made a decision to defer discussion of privacy issues. That will make it
clearer why the GNSO launched a new WHOIS proceeding shortly after the
conclusion of the first one.

Dr. Milton Mueller
http://www.digital-convergence.org
http://www.internetgovernance.org

>>> "Maria Farrell" <maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx> 3/28/2005 7:43:57 PM >>>
Dear all,

Here it is...

Sorry for the delay and suspense - it really took an awful lot longer
than
anticipated. I'm afraid it's a very long document.

I hope you will have an opportunity to review the essential parts
before
tomorrow night's call.  I've included a table of contents to try and
make it
easier to scan.

All the best, Maria