ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

RE: [gnso-dow123] DRAFT redline of recommendation 2

  • To: <gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dow123] DRAFT redline of recommendation 2
  • From: "Bret Fausett" <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 09:53:50 -0700

Thanks, Steve. Also this:

John Jeffrey: Well as a starting point ICANNs registrar accreditation
agreement already provides that a registrar shall abide by applicable laws
and government regulations. So under RAA Section 3.7.2, all though that
provision doesn't exist in many of the registry agreements, there is
discussion about adding that into some of the registry agreements going
forward, where there are specific issues that have been raised.

If a new national or local law were to make it illegal to perform some of
the obligations in the agreement, then we believe that the registrar would
of course have to comply with that law. There are a number of steps that
ICANN could take relating to that. I think some of these questions go to
the very answers that you're trying to supply. So I guess is the question
from a perspective of what we would do currently or is it asking us to
re-review the procedure?

At the end of the day though, we should seek clarification from John on
this point.

        Bret