ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] Proposal Premise Presupposes Publication

  • To: <gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] Proposal Premise Presupposes Publication
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <Mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:57:40 -0400

>>> Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx> 4/26/2005 1:13:31 PM >>>
>The proposal, as it stands, seems overly intent on dealing
>with symptoms that future policy implementations might possibly
>avoid if the GNSO took a more progressive stance on Whois policy
>and individual privacy rights.

Yes, of course. That has been recognized by the proponents of this
approach all along, but just for good measure I proposed (in my message
earlier today) "to make it clear, in the preamble, that this is a
stop-gap measure, the need for which may be eliminated as the whois data
access requirements are changed by the GNSO."

The reason some of us believe this is necessary is that it has taken
the GNSO three years to even recognize a privacy interest in Whois, and
implementing a new policy is likely to take another three. There is,
however, a legitimate debate to be had on this issue.