ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

[gnso-dow123] Tiered WHOIS Closed Beta Launch (fwd)

  • To: gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-dow123] Tiered WHOIS Closed Beta Launch (fwd)
  • From: Thomas Keller <tom@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 17:37:11 +0200

Hello,

I tought you might find the following email of GNR explaining its possible
future
whois policy interesting. The email has been sent to all ICANN accredited
Registrars.

Please note that this is only a Beta version right now and no release date is
mentioned.

Best,

tom

----- Forwarded message from Global Name Registry <info@xxxxxxxx> -----

Privacy Enhanced Whois Beta Launch

After extensive research and development, the .NAME Privacy Enhanced Whois
Service is now entering its Closed Beta Testing mode.

Global Name Registry is taking steps to protect your customers' privacy, a
matter we have always taken very seriously, both because .NAME is for
individuals, and because data protection and privacy requirements in Europe,
where we are based, are among the most stringent in the world.

How does the new WHOIS work?
The new WHOIS service will provide tiered access to the domain name data. The
different tiers contain increasing levels of data, summarized below:

Summary and Standard Tier
Contains technical information with no personal data. This tier is open for all.

Detailed Tier
Requires a valid password. Obtaining passwords require registration and
payment. Detailed Tier provides Registrant name and address, but no email and
phone number. Automated queries are blocked.

Extensive Tier
Requires an Extensive Access Agreement with Global Name Registry and
certification of the data's use, and allows access to full Registrant data.
Automated queries are blocked to the Extensive Tier.

We would like to invite you to test the new WHOIS beta service, available on
https://whoisbeta.gnr.com

Beta WHOIS username: whoisbeta
Beta WHOIS password: tester

Please report any bugs or malfunctioning of the beta service to info@xxxxxxx,
your help is appreciated.

We are in the process of determining the final rollout plan for the new WHOIS
and replacing the previous WHOIS service. For operational purposes, all
Accredited Registrars will continue to have access to the previous WHOIS
service during a transition period after the new WHOIS launches. This access
will be based on the IP address(es) you ask us to allow access from*.

Global Name Registry
+44 207 531 4880

*An access agreement will also be required, requiring the Registrar to only use
the old WHOIS data for operational purposes and not to redistribute it in any
form.

----- End forwarded message -----

Gruss,

tom

(__)
(OO)_____
(oo)    /|\     A cow is not entirely full of
  | |--/ | *    milk some of it is hamburger!
  w w w  w