ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

[gnso-dow123] Policy and Advice: Recommendation 2

  • To: gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-dow123] Policy and Advice: Recommendation 2
  • From: KathrynKL@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 17:55:41 EDT

All:
Per the request of the TF on 5/24, Steve and I have worked off list to divide
Recommendation 2 into a Consensus Policy Recommendation and a Procedure that
staff can use as a starting point for an implementation policy.  We worked
hard on this material and hope that it moves the discussion forward.

One note:  While the Consensus Policy Recommendation is new, the Text of
Recommended Procedure (now Section II) is not.  As a Task Force, we had some
good
dialogue about the proposed revisions to this section, but made no decisions
pending its division in the new document.  Accordingly, Steve and I did not
change this text, but left the original changes highlighted.   People who made
comments may want to repeat them, but I leave this issue to Jordyn.

Regards, Kathy

---------------------  Policy/Advice Recommendation 2 on Conflict of National
Laws

Preamble:

Task Force 2 spent over a year collecting data and working on the conflict
between a registrar/registryâs legal obligations under privacy laws and their
contractual obligations to ICANN.  Its report included the statement:  âThe
Task
Force believes that there is an ongoing risk of conflict between a registrarâ
s or registryâs legal obligations under local privacy laws and their
contractual obligations to ICANN.  TF2 Report, Section 2.3,
http://www.gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/Whois-tf2-preliminary.html.

By vote of the Task Force, now merged, on May 24, 2005, the work of Task
Force 2 is hereby divided into a recommendation for âconsensus policyâ
accompanied by âwell-developed advice for a procedure.â

I.  Task Force Policy for WHOIS Conflicts with Privacy Law

CONSENSUS POLICY RECOMMENDATION

In order to facilitate reconciliation of any conflicts between local/national
mandatory privacy laws or regulations and applicable provisions of the ICANN
contract regarding the collection, display and distribution of personal data
via Whois, ICANN should:

1.  Develop and publicly document a procedure for dealing with the situation
in which a registrar or registry can credibly demonstrate that it is legally
prevented by local/national privacy laws or regulations from fully complying
with applicable provisions of its ICANN contract regarding the collection,
display and distribution of personal data via WHOIS.

2.  Create goals for the procedure which include:

    a.  Ensuring that ICANN staff is informed of a conflict at the earliest
appropriate juncture;

    b.  Resolving the conflict, if possible, in a manner conducive to
stability and uniformity of the Whois system;

    c.  Providing a mechanism for the recognition, in appropriate
circumstances where the conflict cannot be otherwise resolved, of an exception
contractual obligations with regard to collection, display and distribution of
personally identifiable data via Whois; and

    d.  Preserving sufficient flexibility for ICANN staff to respond to
particular factual situations as they arise.

II.  Text of Recommended Procedure

WELL-DEVELOPED ADVICE ON A PROCEDURE FOR HANDLING WHOIS CONFLICTS WITH
PRIVACY LAW

Based on extensive research and negotiation among Task Force 2 together with
the merged Task Force and ICANN staff, the following procedure for handling
the policy recommendation set out in Section I above is set out as a
Recommended

Step-by-Step Procedure for Resolution of WHOIS Conflicts with Privacy Law.
We encourage ICANN staff to use this Recommended Procedure as a starting point
for developing the procedure called for in the Consensus Policy Recommendation
above.

[NOTE:  Full Document Attached.  This is only the first part of the document.
 Please see the Word file attached for the full text of Section II with the
proposed revisions from our earlier work and discussion.]