ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

RE: [gnso-dow123] Initial list of questions regarding purpose

  • To: "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dow123] Initial list of questions regarding purpose
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 05:01:11 -0700

constituencies or the public all over again is another. The latter
would just bog us down in finding out what we all already know. I see
no purpose in that other than to delay the Task Force from getting busy
doing real work on the Terms.</div>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT:
blue 2px solid"><BR>-------- Original Message --------<BR>Subject:
[gnso-dow123] Initial list of questions regarding purpose<BR>From:
"Jordyn A. Buchanan" &lt;jordyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Date: Mon, June
13, 2005 3:17 pm<BR>To: "Whois TF mailing list"
&lt;gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR><BR>Hi all:<BR><BR>As we
discussed last week, we'll spend some time on tomorrow's call
&nbsp;<BR>attempting to compile a list of questions that we think would
be &nbsp;<BR>helpful in addressing the first two tasks in our new terms
are &nbsp;<BR>references (these are, roughly speaking "define the
purpose of Whois" &nbsp;<BR>and "define the purpose of the various
contacts listed in Whois").<BR><BR>There's a difference between
"purpose" and "use" of the Whois system, &nbsp;<BR>but it may be
somewhat useful to understand how Whois is used in the
&nbsp;<BR>context of attempting to articulate its purpose. &nbsp;A
significant &nbsp;<BR>amount of data has been gathered around the use
of Whois in the &nbsp;<BR>past. &nbsp;Maria is currently compiling that
data. &nbsp;We had a recent &nbsp;<BR>discussion around the use of Whois
on a recent conference call. &nbsp;I &nbsp;<BR>will try to sum up that
list in the near future. &nbsp;We can discuss &nbsp;<BR>tomorrow
whether we think it's useful to revisit the question of "how
&nbsp;<BR>Whois is used". &nbsp;As a starting point for that
discussion, here are &nbsp;<BR>the questions posed by TF2:<BR><BR>1)
For each existing data field within the Whois, please provide
&nbsp;<BR>feedback to the task force regarding the following:<BR>1.a)
How do members of your constituency make use of the data?<BR>1.b) Is it
necessary that this information be made available to &nbsp;<BR>members
of your constituency? If so, why?<BR>1.c) Describe any concerns your
constituency may have with making &nbsp;<BR>this information
available.<BR><BR>In addition to questions relating to the use of
Whois, we may also &nbsp;<BR>want to ask specific questions about the
purpose of Whois. &nbsp;Questions &nbsp;<BR>that come to mind
include:<BR><BR>1) What is the purpose of the Whois system?<BR>2) Are
you aware of any definitions of the purpose of the Whois
system?<BR><BR>Finally, in defining the purpose of the contacts in the
Whois system, &nbsp;<BR>we have the work of the Transfers task force as
a starting point. &nbsp;It &nbsp;<BR>may be very useful for someone to
take a look at (or for us to ask) &nbsp;<BR>what types of information
registrants are putting into these various &nbsp;<BR>fields. &nbsp;Do
people differentiate between registrants and admin &nbsp;<BR>contacts?
&nbsp;Who is listed as the tech contact--someone within the
&nbsp;<BR>company or at a service provider?<BR><BR>Jordyn </BLOCKQUOTE>