ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

RE: [gnso-dow123] Initial list of questions regarding purpose

  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dow123] Initial list of questions regarding purpose
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:48:35 -0400

Jordyn, I am at the WSIS, so unlikely to be on the call. I expect David
Fares and Sarah Deutsch to be on for the BC.

I'll provide a few thoughts, though, by email.

I am not sure that I agree that it is that simple to divorce the purpose
from use of WHOIS.

In the interest of starting the TF with a more neutral data gathering
exercise, I would suggest that the same questions from TF2 be sent to the
Constituencies, with an additional question: "Describe any concerns your
constituency has about the lack of availability of this information, and
state why this is a problem?"

I think this balances the data gathered in a more impartial manner. And
updates it. While Constituencies responded just over a year ago, they can
also treat this as an update, and revalidate it.

Secondly, as to the contacts: I recommend that the constituencies be asked
to provide information about whether different individuals are provided for
these categories. Frankly, I would not be surprised if we found duplication
between some of the categories, since many registrants probably don't know
who they should be listing, unless they are given a functional description
of who to input.

Finally, I am comfortable with adding a question or two: such as to ask
"what is the purpose of WHOIS, from your constituency, or your individual
perspective?"

Are there other definitions of WOIS that you recommend that the TF discuss
or take into account?  If yes, please provide here.

"Other comments: (if there is other information or other comments you want
to share with the TF, please provide that information here). " [and provide
space for a qualitative statement by any individual].