ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] REMINDER: suggested revisions for recommendation #2

  • To: <jordyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] REMINDER: suggested revisions for recommendation #2
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <Mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:58:12 -0400

Thanks for the reminder, Jordyn.

I was aware of the deadline. My attitude was: any document that is
acceptable to Kathy Kleiman and Steve Metalitz is acceptable to me....I
think we are beyond the tweaking stage and should vote this up or down
as is.

Dr. Milton Mueller
http://www.digital-convergence.org
http://www.internetgovernance.org

>>> "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 6/16/2005 3:45:54 PM

Fellow Task Force Members:

Please take the opportunity to review the attached recommendation and

procedure for resolving conflicts with national laws.  If you have
suggested revisions, please submit them as soon as possible (today
ideally, but in any case no later than tomorrow) so that the other
members of the task force has an opportunity to consider them prior
to sending the recommendation to constituencies for their
consideration and comment.

Jordyn

*
---------------------  Policy/Advice Recommendation 2 on Conflict of
National Laws

Preamble:

Task Force 2 spent over a year collecting data and working on the
conflict between a registrar/registry's legal obligations under
privacy laws and their contractual obligations to ICANN.  Its report
included the statement:  "The Task Force believes that there is an
ongoing risk of conflict between a registrar's or registry's legal

obligations under local privacy laws and their contractual
obligations to ICANN.  TF2 Report, Section 2.3, http://
www.gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/Whois-tf2-preliminary.html.

By vote of the Task Force, now merged, on May 24, 2005, the work of
Task Force 2 is hereby divided into a recommendation for "consensus

policy" accompanied by "well-developed advice for a procedure."

I.  Task Force Policy for WHOIS Conflicts with Privacy Law

CONSENSUS POLICY RECOMMENDATION

In order to facilitate reconciliation of any conflicts between local/
national mandatory privacy laws or regulations and applicable
provisions of the ICANN contract regarding the collection, display
and distribution of personal data via Whois, ICANN should:

1.  Develop and publicly document a procedure for dealing with the
situation in which a registrar or registry can credibly demonstrate
that it is legally prevented by local/national privacy laws or
regulations from fully complying with applicable provisions of its
ICANN contract regarding the collection, display and distribution of
personal data via WHOIS.

2.  Create goals for the procedure which include:

a.  Ensuring that ICANN staff is informed of a conflict at the
earliest appropriate juncture;

b.  Resolving the conflict, if possible, in a manner conducive to
stability and uniformity of the Whois system;

c.  Providing a mechanism for the recognition, in appropriate
circumstances where the conflict cannot be otherwise resolved, of an
exception to contractual obligations with regard to collection,
display and distribution of personally identifiable data via Whois;
and

d.  Preserving sufficient flexibility for ICANN staff to respond to
particular factual situations as they arise.

II.  Text of Recommended Procedure

WELL-DEVELOPED ADVICE ON A PROCEDURE FOR HANDLING WHOIS CONFLICTS
WITH PRIVACY LAW

Based on extensive research and negotiation among Task Force 2
together with the merged Task Force and ICANN staff, the following
procedure for handling the policy recommendation set out in Section I

above is set out as a Recommended
Step-by-Step Procedure for Resolution of WHOIS Conflicts with Privacy

Law.  We encourage ICANN staff to use this Recommended Procedure as a

starting point for developing the procedure called for in the
Consensus Policy Recommendation above.

[NOTE:  Full Document Attached.  This is only the first part of the
document.  Please see the Word file attached for the full text of
Section II with the proposed revisions from our earlier work and
discussion.]