ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] REMINDER: suggested revisions for recommendation #2

  • To: tim@xxxxxxxxxxx, marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx, maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx, jordyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, metalitz@xxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] REMINDER: suggested revisions for recommendation #2
  • From: KathrynKL@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 00:09:48 EDT

OK, I can support b.  I appreciate Tim's explanation and it makes sense.

I do not, however, support the change to C, and the reason is one of
symantics.
"Recognition" is a decision; "Consideration" is a process.

I am not saying that ICANN has to accept the change demanded by a foreign
government, but I do believe it must make some decision.  "To provide a
mechanism
for the consideration" seems to invite the ongoing dialogue for which ICANN
is so famous.  We can consider and talk at any length.... But "To provide a
mechanism for the recognition" -- bounded by the huge limitations of "b" and
"d"
--- actually creates a path out of dialogue and to decision.

I do not see "c" conflicted with "d" -- only being bound by it.  Staff
remains the final decision-makers.

Again, in my objection to the change of wording in "c", I see and appreciate
Tim's point.  I just think that the current wording allows for the scope he
seeks.  The new wording changes it -- and introduces ambiguities anew.

Regards, Kathy

<<