ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

RE: [gnso-dow123] REMINDER: suggested revisions for recommendation #2

  • To: <KathrynKL@xxxxxxx>, <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx>, <jordyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <metalitz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dow123] REMINDER: suggested revisions for recommendation #2
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:47:32 -0500

Kathy,

My requested changes are:

Revised b.:

b.  Resolving the conflict if possible, doing so in a manner conducive to

ICANN's Mission, applicable Core Values, and the stability and uniformity of

the Whois system;

Reason:

Article I Section 2. of ICANN's bylaws states in part:

Any ICANN body making a recommendation or decision shall exercise its
judgment to determine which core values are most relevant and how they apply
to the specific circumstances of the case at hand, and to determine, if
necessary, an appropriate and defensible balance among competing values.

Since this recommendation does not address this in specifics I think it is
important that b. be revised to at least recognize this requirement. Also,
it wasn't completely clear what the phrase *if possible* referred to.

Revised c.:
c.  Providing a mechanism for the consideration, in appropriate
circumstances where the conflict cannot be otherwise resolved, of an
exception to contractual obligations with regard to collection,
display and distribution of personally identifiable data via Whois; and

Reason:

Part c. as written could be taken to mean that ICANN *must* make an
exception where a conflict cannot otherwise be resolved. That conflicts with
part d., and I don't believe any of us on this TF have the foresight to see
all possible situations where this policy may come into play. This can
easily be clarified by changing *recognition* to *consideration.*

Tim