ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

[gnso-dow123] Citation in IPC background paper

  • To: "David Maher" <dmaher@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-dow123] Citation in IPC background paper
  • From: "Steven J. Metalitz IIPA" <metalitz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:39:50 -0400

David,

I understand that on last Tuesday's Whois Task Force call you pointed
out an error in a citation in the IPC background paper regarding the
purposes of Whois.  I appreciate your pointing out the new URL for the
Art. 29 working party paper cited in our background report at footnote
15.  Our footnote linked to a URL at the European Commission internal
market directorate, where data protection activities were formerly
housed.  (This was the URL given numerous times in the appendix to the
2004 TF2 report prepared by Kathy Kleiman.)  As you probably know, in a
recent bureaucratic re-shuffle, these activities were transferred to the
Justice and Home affairs directorate.  While the old URL for the data
protection unit remained active until sometime within the last month or
so, it has since been shut down, and the paper can now best be accessed
through the URL you provided and which is reflected in the draft
minutes.  Evidently we failed to check to see if the page accessed
during the drafting of the background paper was still active at the
moment ithe paper was submitted (actually, it may have still been, but
clearly is no longer).  In any case, we will circulate an erratum to
reflect this bureaucratic shift within the Commission and the resulting
change in URL.

Steve Metalitz