ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

[gnso-dow123] Re: Citation in IPC background paper

  • To: "Steven J. Metalitz IIPA" <metalitz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-dow123] Re: Citation in IPC background paper
  • From: "David W. Maher" <dmaher@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 00:22:33 -0500

Steve:
Thank you for making this correction. This is, however, a trivial matter.
My concern about the "Backgrounder" circulated by the IP constituency is the citation of the EC document as support for the proposition that the EC is in favor of public availability of private personal data. In the recent teleconference, I cited, from the same EC document, the following:
??it is essential to limit the amount of personal data to be collected and processed.?
?The registration of domain names by individuals raises different legal considerations than that of companies or other legal persons registering domain names.?
?In the light of the proportionality principle, it is necessary to look for less intrusive methods that would still serve the purpose of the Whois directories without having all data directly available on-line to everybody.?
?The Working Party encourages ICANN and the Whois community to look at privacy enhancing ways to run the Whois directories in a way that serves its original purpose whilst protecting the rights of individuals. It should in any case be possible for individuals to register domain names without their personal details appearing on a publicly available register.?
[emphasis in original]

I said in the teleconference that the IP Constituency has distorted the views of the EC and that the "Backgrounder" is deceptive. For that reason, I suggest that the IP Constituency withdraw the Backgrounder as part of the record of this proceeding..
David