ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] Purpose of Whois : Types of problems

  • To: jordyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] Purpose of Whois : Types of problems
  • From: KathrynKL@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:51:32 EDT

Jordyn:
Thanks for issuing follow-up questions.  As the statements show, NCUC and the
Registry Constituency support listing a technical purpose for the WHOIS data.
 We also support the comments of the Article 29 Working Group of EU Data
Protection Commissioners which encouraged ICANN to allow WHOIS to serve the
technical functions while not compromising the privacy rights of individuals.

I would like to ask that comments on purpose also include why that purpose
fits within ICANN's mission and core values.   If we do, I think we will move
this discussion much more quickly forward to closure.

Regards, Kathy