ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] Proposed change #3

  • To: "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] Proposed change #3
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:57:31 -0400

Given that this is guidance for the staff, and tempered by ICANN's
mission, mandate and bylaws - we should stick to the original language
which provides for a level of confidentiality that would seem to suit
the broadest range of circumstances.

On 30/08/2005 5:16 PM Jordyn A. Buchanan noted that;
> This is the second proposal that we discussed today.  This proposal  is
> from the IPC.
>
> I believe we were making some progress with the following draft,
> although I know that both the registries and NCUC still had some
> concerns.  The goal here seems to be to balance transparency on the  one
> hand and the need for confidentiality, especially in the event of  an
> ongoing investigation.  My reading of this paragraph is that it  would
> allow for confidentiality if it were requested by a government  agency,
> but maybe some further refinement is needed to make that clear?
>
> The proposal would replace the last paragraph of step one as follows:
>
> Depending on the specific circumstances of the Whois Proceeding, the
> Registrar/Registry may request that ICANN keep all correspondence
> between the parties confidential pending the outcome of the Whois
> Proceeding, although throughout the entire procedure (including later
> steps) confidentiality should only be granted in those circumstances
> where it is necessary, keeping in mind the It is recommended that  ICANN
> respond favorably to such requests to the extent that they can  be
> accommodated with other legal responsibilities and basic  principles of
> transparency applicable to ICANN operations.

- --
- --
Regards,

                       -rwr

                "Every contrivance of man, every tool, every instrument,
                 every utensil, every article designed for use, of each
                 and every kind, evolved from very simple beginnings."
                        - Robert Collier

Got Blog? http://www.blogware.com
My Blogware: http://www.byte.org