ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

[gnso-dow123] Proposed change #3

• To: Whois TF mailing list <gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-dow123] Proposed change #3
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:16:51 -0400

This is the second proposal that we discussed today. This proposal is from the IPC.

I believe we were making some progress with the following draft, although I know that both the registries and NCUC still had some concerns. The goal here seems to be to balance transparency on the one hand and the need for confidentiality, especially in the event of an ongoing investigation. My reading of this paragraph is that it would allow for confidentiality if it were requested by a government agency, but maybe some further refinement is needed to make that clear?

The proposal would replace the last paragraph of step one as follows:

Depending on the specific circumstances of the Whois Proceeding, the Registrar/Registry may request that ICANN keep all correspondence between the parties confidential pending the outcome of the Whois Proceeding, although throughout the entire procedure (including later steps) confidentiality should only be granted in those circumstances where it is necessary, keeping in mind the It is recommended that ICANN respond favorably to such requests to the extent that they can be accommodated with other legal responsibilities and basic principles of transparency applicable to ICANN operations.

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy