ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

RE: [gnso-dow123] Info From Australian (auDA) review of Whois

  • To: <Mueller@xxxxxxx>, <gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dow123] Info From Australian (auDA) review of Whois
  • From: <Niklas_Lagergren@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:31:33 +0200

Thanks for the info, Milton -

It is quite telling to see that auDA is not asserting that Australian
privacy law bars the disclosure of the full range of registrant contact
data. It simply states "Although disclosure of full registrant contact
details may not breach Australian privacy legislation, we do not believe
that such disclosure is in the interests of registrants or the general
public."

In other words, it is justifying its stance on political rather than
legal grounds.

This is worth keeping in mind since Australia has in the past been
mentioned by some members of the Task Force as one of the countries
where ICANN's contractual obligations regarding WHOIS would allegedly
violate local privacy law. During the last two years of TF work, we have
heard many claims from a few persons of cases of non-compliance with
privacy law at national level (notably in Australia and in some European
countries) but remarkably little evidence to actually support these
claims...

As to the POLITICAL objective of, say, a given government or a given
ccTLD regarding WHOIS accessibility, it is all very interesting but
certainly not an issue for the GNSO to deal with. The GNSO would neither
have the mandate nor the time to do that I believe.

Kind regards -

Nik