ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

[gnso-dow123] Re: Next step

  • To: Milton Mueller <Mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-dow123] Re: Next step
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 16:59:30 -0500

Milton's proposal makes sense. The most recent discussion on this list makes it perfectly clear that the range of views on this issue hasn't changed in five years - we should try to move forward as expediently as possible by noting the varied consensus and forwarding our report to Council at the earliest juncture.

Milton Mueller wrote:
Jordyn:
I agree with your approach but would propose to accelerate somewhat the timetable and to avoid another teleconference.

It is obvious that we have two distinct definitions of Whois purpose, each supported by 3 constituencies. A report expressing those two views, based on your presentation in Vancouver, could be put together easily. It is simply a matter of compiling documents that already exist. I would therfore propose that Maria and you assemble this information Monday, and distribute it to us over the list for a vote - by constituency rep., not individuals - of approval. Note that we are approving it only as a report on where the TF stands, and as something we send out for public comment.

I see no need for another teleconf, unless you and Maria do something strange to the report and we have to make major modifications. ;-)

Following this procedure, we should be able to put the thing up for public comment as soon as the week of Dec. 26.

Dr. Milton Mueller
http://www.digital-convergence.org
http://www.internetgovernance.org

jordyn.buchanan@xxxxxxxxx 12/9/2005 4:23 PM >>>
There's a question I can answer.

I think the next step for us is to prepare a preliminary report on the
topic of the purpose of Whois.  This report will likely include both
of the definitions of purpose presented in Vancouver, along with an
indication of which constituencies/reps support each.

I believe that the only question raised in Vancouver was wether in
addition to the contact information for one or more problem solves,
some sort of information that clearly ties the domain to the
registrant should be included.  I'd be interested to hear TF members'
views on this.

With that as the only outstanding issue, I think we can ask Maria to
at least start putting together the framework of a preliminary report
that will present both of the definitions.  Once that is done, we can
vote and indicate our support for the two approaches.  Then the report
can be published for public comment and we can see if there is further
feedback there that may help resolve the apparent impasse.

I suggest that we have our next call on December 20 (which I realize
is quite close to Christmas), and that we ask Maria to distribute an
initial draft of a report by December 16 (next Friday) so that we can
begin to consider in on that call.

Jordyn