ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

RE: [gnso-dow123] Emailing: 2100-9588_22-5986553.htm

  • To: Milton Mueller <Mueller@xxxxxxx>, kstubbs@xxxxxxxxxxxx, KathrynKL@xxxxxxx, gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dow123] Emailing: 2100-9588_22-5986553.htm
  • From: "Mansourkia, Magnolia (Maggie)" <maggie.mansourkia@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 20:18:33 +0000

Milton-
Thanks for your thoughtful response, and here is my take. As I stated
earlier, he ISPCP was not invited or represented and you can see from
our many discussions that many other ISPs hold differing views.  The
fact remains that if either of us is holding the Vancouver/Luxemburg
speakers as the gospel, we won't be convincing each other of anything.
I was not involved in scheduling either series, but I do think its an
interesting point you make--when it came to getting the ISP view, no one
thought that ISPCP members and/or a task force member that is an ISP
should be represented.   No big deal from my perspective, but taking any
of these presentations, Luxemburg included, as gospel doesn't resonate
with me. Its great for getting the different perspectives, and try to
better understand the opposing opinion.

In fact, there is no opt out on mandatory retention in UK, and soon to
be enforced in other member states, to the extent they don't already
have it.  Where exactly are the DPAs who seem to be so up in arms over
Whois?  Why is Whois access so appalling to them (I'm not sure it is,
but even assuming so for arguments' sake)  and mass retention of all
data on all individuals is ok just because its not politically palatable
to them to go after their own Justice Ministries but ICANN is an easy
target.  I'm probably preaching to the choir on the evils of retention,
but my main point is that after all the quotes we've received from the
EU privacy officials there is a stark credibility gap here.

And, in fact, accountability may not be the point for you, but it is for
many others.  My statement was not about publishing anything, but
rather, that I don't agree with your analogy of a phone number to a
domain name.

Magnolia Mansourkia
Director
Internet and Ecommerce Law, MCI