ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] Emailing: 2100-9588_22-5986553.htm

  • To: maggie.mansourkia@xxxxxxx, dmaher@xxxxxxx, kstubbs@xxxxxxxxxxxx, gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] Emailing: 2100-9588_22-5986553.htm
  • From: KathrynKL@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:51:29 EST

Belated response to Maggie --
Maggie, I regret that you were not at the Privacy Conference.  We scheduled
it to run after the then-scheduled GAC Whois meeting and then posted it to the
TF -- a good time for maximum TF participation we thought.  I think you would
have found Drew McArthur's comments of Telus very interesting -- and Chris
Savage (US expert) agreed with him regarding the traditional protections of
privacy imbedded in the telephone and ISP systems of the US and Canada.

As for two comments you made below:
1) I agree that data retention questions raise many privacy issues and
concerns.  I think they are far beyond the scope and purpose of this TF.

2) What I find of great concern is the erosion of clear lines in the TF
discussion between "ideas" and "goods and services."  The "marketplace of
ideas" is
completely different from the "marketplace of goods and services."  It is a
clear distinction that FTC and others agree on.  The FTC acknowledges that its
jurisdiction is solely to those "holding themselves out" *to the public* "to
provide goods and services."  Websites of ideas are different from websites for
goods and services sold to the general public.

In countries that value democratic dialogue, the marketplace of ideas has
never required someone to put his/her name on an idea.  That includes "Publius"
(James Madison and others authoring the Federalist papers), Mark Twain, George
Sand, and many others.  At the Privacy Conference, I read from the US Supreme
Court case McIntrye v. Ohio Elections Comm'n (1995) striking down an Ohio law
that required a person to put his/her name and address on political pamphlets.
 The Court ruled that you cannot require "disclosure as a condition of entry"
into the marketplace of ideas. <full quote below>

The whole concept of "holding himself/herself out to the public" applies to
commercial ventures.  A 1967 case summarizes the US Supreme Court position
nicely: "In Deputy v. du Pont, 308 U.S. 488, the Court held that a "trade or
business * * * involves holding one's self out to others as engaged in the
selling
of goods or services."  (Cherry v. Commissioner, US Tax Court, 1967).

I would like to request that the TF keep a clean line here -- that ideas are
different from goods and services.  It is a line of the FTC, and of every
other area of life. Websites of ideas are different from websites of goods and
services.

Kathy
--------------------- Quote from McIntyre v. Ohio Elections Commission
------------------------
ââAnonymous pamphlets, leaflets, brochures and even books have played an
important role in the progress of mankind. Great works of literature have
frequently been produced by authors writing under assumed names. Despite
readersâ
curiosity and the publicâs interest in identifying the creator of a work of
art, the author generally is free to decide whether or not to disclose his or
her
true identity.The decision in favor of anonymity may be motivated by fear of
economic or official retaliation, by concern about social ostracism, or merely
by a desire to preserve as much of ones privacy as possible. Whatever the
motivation may be, at least in the field of literary endeavor, the interest in
having anonymous works enter the marketplace of ideas unquestionably outweighs
any public interest in requiring disclosure as a condition of entry.â