ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

RE: [gnso-dow123] Attached! Preliminary tf Report Purpose Whois a nd Whois contacts with public comments added

  • To: "'GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dow123] Attached! Preliminary tf Report Purpose Whois a nd Whois contacts with public comments added
  • From: "Fares, David" <DFares@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 14:37:49 -0500

Maria and colleagues,

Thanks to Maria for preparing the draft report.  Unfortunately, I have a
conflict and will not be on the Task Force call tomorrow so I wanted to
provide my first reactions to the draft report.  I am surprised by the very
negative portrayal of the public comment responses in support of formulation
2 and think it is wholly inappropriate.  The responses reflect the views of
the organizations that submitted them and that is the only relevant point.
The secretariat should not attempt to undermine those responses.  Moreover,
the draft report fails to recognize the diversity of respondents in-favor of
formulation 2 which includes content providers, trademark owners (from many
different sectors), anti-piracy organizations, a registrar, an online
retailer, a financial institution, ISPs, a portal, a hotel, an information
services company and an NGO -- the Red Cross.  Finally, I think that it is
important to note that many of the organizations that submitted comments
indicated multiple uses of the Whois database.

With the above in mind, I think it is essential that the portrayal of the

Again, apologies for missing tomorrow's call.

Best regards,
David