ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

[gnso-dow123] Test for inclusion of data in Whois output

  • Subject: [gnso-dow123] Test for inclusion of data in Whois output
  • From: "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 22:03:03 -0700

Hello all:

On our last call, we discussed how we might apply something like the original NCUC proposal for the review of data collected to a review of the data output as part of our Terms of Reference item #3. It seems useful to consider each data element that would be output and consider its alignment with the purpose of Whois that the Council has asked us to use in our ongoing work.

One point that Steve Metalitz raised on the call was that we have not yet decided what sort of test to use in evaluating the relationship between the data element and the defined purpose of Whois. The analysis might result in different outcomes if we considered, for example, the "necessity" of the data for the purpose versus the "relationship" of the data to the purpose. On the call, I agreed that this was an important discussion to have in advance of the analysis effort, and I suggested that we move the discussion to the list.

This e-mail, then, is intended to begin that discussion. I'd like the task force representatives to weigh in on what they believe the appropriate test might be. To start the discussion of, I'll list some of the possible tests that we've discussed on calls so far:

- Whether or not the data is NECESSARY to fulfill the purpose of Whois
- Whether or not the data is HELPFUL in fulfilling the purpose of Whois
- Whether or not the data is RELATED to the purpose of Whois
- Whether or not displaying the data is INCONSISTENT WITH the purpose of Whois

It's certainly possible there are other possible tests as well. Feel free to suggest others.

Jordyn